Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

After extensive research over the past few months, I have decided to get the Denon 3802 receiver, B&W DM-605 S2 (L+R), LCR6 (C), DM601 (Rear) speakers. Does anyone have this combination for their home theater setup? Any comments, likes or dislikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Charly,

I have a setup close to this. I use the Denon 3300, B&W 604S2's as mains, LCR6S2 as center and 601S2's as rears. Since I don't have powered subs in the mains I use an additional ASW-1000 sub.

I'm quite happy with this setup for cinema use. The amps in the Denon drives the speakers fine as long as they are set to small. I find the tweeters in the 604's quite aggressive but it's not a big problem when watching movies.

The voice matching between the 604's and the LCR6 could have been better but is close enough not to be too noticable.

All in all, I would probably choose something similar today but only for cinema use.

I am in the process of building up a new setup for music listening.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Charly,

I have a 603/601 setup. Your setup looks good. Is this for Music listening as well or only HT?

The reason I ask is: If this for only HT use, I'm of the opinion that a seprate sub will give you better performanance than integrated units of that caliber. I think I agree w/ Henrik re: a seprate sub. You might consider a 603 or 604 combo with 601 rears and spend the $ you saved on a seprate sub. The inclusion of a sub really enhanced my music and HT exp.

Good Luck,

--Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies Steve and Henrik

I will be using this system for both music and HT. 605s2 have the built-in powered subwoofers in them which fit my needs quite nicely. I live in an apartment where space is a constraint and the neighbors will complain if I start to shake the building with a big sub. But does a seperate subwoofer really improve the sonics of the setup that much over built-ins which justifies a switch? Btw please consider the fact that I can get the 605s at the same price as the 604s.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you can get the 605's for the same price as the 604s, I think it's a "no brainer". Do it. In an apt setting, this should give you good bass response without shaking the foundations of your building. I have a friend who has a set of 605s and he loves them. Also, since they have their own power source, I can't help but think it might ease the load on your receiver, though someone else could probably give you better input there as I am not postive if powered monitors will effect the amount of juice a rec is pushing out.

I do believe that adding a seprate sub (maybe later on when it makes more sense) should give you a better music and HT response. It'll free up the 605s to handle the mid and higher ranges, which is what they are better suited for. Complex bass seems to demand a great deal from speakers. Don't take my word for it. Listen to some other setups. Maybe the dealer can let you hear the 605s with and without a sub.

Good Luck,

--Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.