AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate is looking at getting a new reciever.

The 3803 seems a good choice as he will use the video up switching and just run one component feed to the projector.

His front 3 speakers are run from a Rotel 993, 3chl 200w (8ohm) dedicated amp, this he will be keeping.

He also is looking at a new CD player such as Arcam 82.

How good is "direct" mode on the Denon when using only the preouts? Ie will the Denon do a good job of simply "passing" the analogue stereo from the CD player through to the Rotel, without "colouring" the sound.

How would it do this in comparison to a dedicated pre amp?

Speakers are Quad 22L floorstanders.

Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Are you sure the Denon does upconverting to Component? I know it converts composite to S-vid, but I didn't think it did composite and s-vid to component....

Just checked the specs, and it does say component. Double check the manual on that though, because there was something about it not working like I expected when I demoed it recently.

Also, the Y/C separation capabilities on the Denon are pretty weak - the Yamaha was much better for that, but not as good for SQ IMO.

The Denon seemed pretty good to me in both it's A/D and D/A conversion, and does have sound modes to bypass processing where appropriate. Do you not use a sub?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just replace my Denon 3803 with a used Meridian 561 and there is no comparison in sound quality. The Denon will create allot of hum if you do not use a ground isolator. I would look to a pre/pro and not a receiver if you already have amps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have not tested this, but, I am quite sure it will upconvert to digital output from analog, but will not down convert from digital to analog.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtdking,

Would the big sound quality gain achieved by the meridian over the denon also be the cause if using the denon as a pre-amp? (Im not familiar with the meridain, it seems its just a pre/processor) In which case the answer is yes.

Does it do any video switching, ie convert to component etc etc?

BIG price increase Denon :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 3803 and it does switch everything to component. It doesn't do any up-conversion (IE: 480i to 1080i, etc) but it does switch to component out.

I am using only one component input on my current display and doing all the switching (cable, vhs, dvd, tivo) to my component out on my 3803.

Tomas

·
Registered
591 Posts
Why would you want to run your video through the anything rather then just running it direct to the source. Each connection has a db loss so I dont understand. The Meridian is just a pre amp, so a amp is needed. I was using my Denon as a pre amp and using a Cinenova amp to all my speakers.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mtdking
Why would you want to run your video through the anything rather then just running it direct to the source.
One obvious reason is when the TV has less inputs than someone has components so a switch is needed. It happens... :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Satellite receivers.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have 5, and will be adding a 6th HD PVR when they come out (hopefully in less than a month.)

- satellite receiver

- dvd recorder

- dvd player

- svhs

- hdtv cable box

Even now I can record 2 things and watch a third live, and it'll get better with the PVR! :) Why record 2 things you ask? When CSI and Las Vegas are on at the same time, and then there's a sporting event to watch live.

Oh, don't forget a console game unit which I don't have, but certainly could. A lot of people even have 2. That would bring the total to 8. It's pretty easy to pile on components...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.