AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my new denon, and sonic-ally i'm very happy with it. I sold the 3802.

One issue I have is with the unit is passing thru a progressive component signal defeats the denons on screen display. Has any one else noticed this? I may switch the Panasonic dvd to interlaced and let my cs-1 do the work.

Gary

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Just switch to the S-video connection whenever you want to make on-screen adjustments. As I understand it, Denon didn't want to muck up the signal quality of the progressive path.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have my HP XB-31 connected to both the component and s-video outputs of the 3803. The osd only works with an interlaced signal. I normally watch PAL from the computer. I have an old black and white TV connected to the composite out so I can see what the receiver is doing until I get used to it. My XB-31 goes nuts when the osd shows on the component output because it switches from color to monochrome and the projector goes into search mode.

I popped the cover on the 3803 and took a look at the video boards. The component board mounted on the RCA jacks is small and straight forward. The component switching is done by relays located right at the jacks with nothing that can degrade the signal. There are no transistors, capacitors or resistors around the video, except for the relay drivers.

Using the THX Optimizer bandwidth test pattern on the Starwars DVD, I can see lines almost to the end of the sweep, with no difference using the receiver and being connected directly to the DVD player. Well, there is a little difference, but I think that's due to the extra three feet of cable.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks pete

I guess I will run progressive straight to the CS-1.

Interesting post Daventry, it's nice to know their truly is little degradation.

Just of interest, I found the 3803 to be a little smoother and laid back sounding than the 3802.

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.