Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I know that the Denon AVR-3803 is a 7.1 receiver and can be connected in a 5.1 layout with 2 speakers for Zone 2. I'd like to know if the 3803 can be connected in a 6.1 layout, i.e. 2 front mains, front center, 2 rear surrounds and one rear center?

Thanks in advance.

RipclawSA

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yes, the number of surround back speakers is menu selectable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What if you only have the two (standard) surround speakers, no Back Surrounds at all? IOW, what will happen if you choose a DTS 6.1 soundtrack (like LOTR) but don't have the back surround speaker(s)?

Will it automatically mix the L/R surrounds to create a "psuedo back-surround" ? Can this harm anything? This is, of course, assuming you have the 3803 set-up as NOT having the back surrounds.

TIA!

-Tim

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It'll just give a phantom rear center like how a pair of speakers can produce a phantom center in front. This trick only works for those in the sweet spot though.

Yes, it folds that info into the SL & SR speakers. You won't hurt the receiver at all.

Sorny

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation, Sorny!

-Tim

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You're welcome. Sharing of info is a good thing... This way, we can spread the disease to others. :D

Sorny

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorny
You're welcome. Sharing of info is a good thing... This way, we can spread the disease to others. :D
Sorny...this is so true. Eventhough my system is by no means exotic, it is more elaborate than most of my friends have seen or heard. So when they come over, I get a kick out of the ones that decide they want a nice system too. Ofcourse I will gladly help them spend their money.

This is precisely the reason I do not want to go to my friend's house....he has a new 60" plasma!!

Is there something like a home theater addiction group?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.