AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that when I put the volume on my Denon 3803 to around -15db , or when there is a sudden change like skipping chapters on a dvd the reciever shutsdown and goes into STANDBY mode with a fast flashing red light. I have tried using both of the digital coax inputs on the back of my reciever. And have also tried using a different DVD player with digital out coax..

How should I proceed to determine if its the reciever, or if its something to do with the wiring of my speakers? Does this sound like it could be related to the wiring of my speakers? When I hooked up the dvd player over regular component I dont recall having this problem, although ill have to try it again to be sure..

I am curious to see if anyone has ran into this before...

Thanks in advance!!

-Wumagic

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It is almost certainly the speakers or speaker wires.

The process of elimination is applicable here.

Assuming you don't find anything obvious, disconnect one speaker at a time (leaving the others hooked up) and repeat the test to find out when it stops ... uh ... stopping. Then hook up ONLY that speaker and try it again (for only one speaker, you may have to crank the volume higher to get it to trip the self-protection circuits). If indeed that is the bad one, trace the speaker wire all the way to the speaker looking for shorts. If you don't find any, try swapping two speaker wires. The problem will either follow the wire or follow the speaker. If it's the wire, look CAREFULLY at it again and replace it if you can't figure out the problem. If it's the speaker, you may have a short inside somewhere. That requires a bit more technical acumen than the testing thus far.

BTW, whenever you have a problem and are looking for help, you should provide us with a complete list of your equipment. For example, it is *possible* (though unlikely) that you have a set of very low impedance speakers which can't be driven by the 3803 at high volumes.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Bill

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Billped:

I had a feeling it was going to be either the speakers or the wires, but before I started the wild goose chase I wanted some other opinions on it, I will do as you said and eliminate one speaker at a time.

To answer your other question on what other equipment I have, I am running Rocket Loudspeakers 2-RS550's for fronts, 1-RSC200 for center, I only have them hooked up at the present moment, I do not have my surrounds or sub hooked up when this problem happens.

I will go through the process of elimination one by one and post my results.. If in fact it turns out to be the speaker wire, I am going to have a tough time running a new line to my speakers upfront, but I just thought of a way to do it without seeing the wire, so it shouldnt be too bad :)

I thank you again!!

Wu-

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Billped:

You were most certainly correct, after I wrote my previous response I went to try out the process of elimination, I started by unplugging my Center Channel speaker, and then that was when I realized what was the problem..

I had said before that my surrounds arent hooked up, this is a true statement, but I do have them plugged in on the back of my reciever and the wires that will attach to the speakers are in the walls, well as I found out, I had stripped the ends of the left surround and left the wire tucked away in the wall, so the two bare ends were touching eachother and when the system was cranked up to the right level they would trip it into standby mode..

So I seperated the wires and everything works great now!!!

Thanks Again for the reassurance!!

Wu-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.