AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to everyone.


I am a long time Denon/Paradigm owner and am about to pull the trigger on a set of used Anthem separates. But before I do, I wanted to make sure this purchase is not made simply because of my "end of year" AV bug.


My current setup:


Denon 3803

Paradigm Studio 60s

Paradigm Studio CC470

Mirage Prestige Nanosats (surrounds)

No sub


3 walled room in a condo. 2 of the walls are all glass and the front wall where the 60s are is traditional drywall. Wood floor and a wool rug covering most of the floor. Size is about 20' x 13'.


I am seriously considering a used AVM20 and an MCA50 to replace the Denon. This upgrade is very difficult for me to quantify mainly because of my room setup. If I were in a dedicated theater properly setup then I believe this would be a no brainer.


Pull the trigger or stick with what I got? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
It's a no brainer to upgrade. Better audio processing, more power. Your front 3 speakers will benefit greatly from the power upgrade. Plus, when the time comes, you can upgrade your AVM20 to the latest and greatest from Anthem. I would do it in a heartbeat and not look back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb /forum/post/15439349


It's a no brainer to upgrade. Better audio processing, more power. Your front 3 speakers will benefit greatly from the power upgrade. Plus, when the time comes, you can upgrade your AVM20 to the latest and greatest from Anthem. I would do it in a heartbeat and not look back.

Thanks. This helps a lot. Do you think I will see an improvement with my video processing? I watch a lot of HD cable and Blu-Ray movies.


PS - Do you buy your paradigm/anthem gear from Sounds Deluxe in Naperville?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonkheer /forum/post/15439407


Thanks. This helps a lot. Do you think I will see an improvement with my video processing? I watch a lot of HD cable and Blu-Ray movies.


PS - Do you buy your paradigm/anthem gear from Sounds Deluxe in Naperville?

I went from a 3802 to a AVM 30 and it was well worth the upgrade. All aspects of SQ was improved. As far as video processing I believe the AVM 20 as well as the AVM 30 is just a pass through with no video processing in the unit. When I had the AVM 30 I ran all (cable, HD-DVD and Bluray) video straight to my plasma display.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/15440858


I went from a 3802 to a AVM 30 and it was well worth the upgrade. All aspects of SQ was improved. As far as video processing I believe the AVM 20 as well as the AVM 30 is just a pass through with no video processing in the unit. When I had the AVM 30 I ran all (cable, HD-DVD and Bluray) video straight to my plasma display.


Bill

Thanks.


What amp are you using with the 30?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonkheer /forum/post/15440886


What amp are you using with the 30?

I do not have the AVM 30 anymore but I had used a Sherbourn 72100A, Boston Acoustics A7200, Parasound A52 and a NHT Power5 with it. Many good amp choices out there. Best bang for the buck new seems to be the Emotiva amps. You can also look on Audiogon as well. I have had very good luck on A-gon buying amps as well as many other components.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
Yes sir, I do buy my gear there. As stated above, there is no video processing, just switching in the 20 and the 30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
You should be able to upgrade it to an AVC20-HD, and possibly a V2 once the AVM50 V2 and D2 V2 come out. It will give you the new video VPX chip, Anthem Room Correction (ARC), and HDMI 1.3 inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I have an AVM20 with an Oppo DVD player. I'm using a Linn 2250 amp with some very nice Linn full range speakers called Espeks. I like two channel audio so I use a very cheap mono block amp with a radio shack style center channel speaker, ok it works for me. The point is, this setup works very well for home theater for me. The video play back is very good and the audio is perfect.


I also got a Proceed AVP2 and CVP2 for xMass. Yep it was a nice buy for about 1700. I use my Anthem entry level amp to power my fronts and the TV is the center channel, don't recommend. But this to works very well for me. I'm waiting on the new Oppo Blue Ray to come out and will purchase for this system. But again, I love both my systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus /forum/post/15449906


You should be able to upgrade it to an AVC20-HD, and possibly a V2 once the AVM50 V2 and D2 V2 come out. It will give you the new video VPX chip, Anthem Room Correction (ARC), and HDMI 1.3 inputs.

Looking on Anthems site the video processor/1.3 is only available for the AVM 30. As far as the ARC upgrade it shows for only the AVM 40/50. There is no mention of upgrades for the AVM 20. But maybe Anthem will offer these upgrades for the AVM 20 in the future. I always thought 2k for the video processor/1.3 upgrade a little steep IMO. I wonder what the ARC update will cost?


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/15450404


Looking on Anthems site the video processor/1.3 is only available for the AVM 30. As far as the ARC upgrade it shows for only the AVM 40/50. There is no mention of upgrades for the AVM 20. But maybe Anthem will offer these upgrades for the AVM 20 in the future. I always thought 2k for the video processor/1.3 upgrade a little steep IMO. I wonder what the ARC update will cost?


Bill


ARC runs around $500 for existing AMV40/50 owners.

I wonder what Anthem will say about an AVM20 upgrade, since they say you can upgrade their systems.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top