AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared these soundwise.. is there a marked improvement in sound?? Is it worth switching the 02 for a 03 (would be very nice to have the master audio dealy if I buy a plasma).

·
Registered
680 Posts
I currently use the 3803 which replaced the 3802 in my system. I use it as a pre-amp for my mains, center, and surrounds,but it does amplify my rears.

I much prefer the sound of the 3803.

Gary

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,

Can you be more specific, in what way is the sound of the 03 better? Is the difference significant? Do they come at the same price?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Simply on the first impressions I have with my favorite reference DVDs (Star Wars Episode I - chapter 20, Saving Private Ryan - chapter 2, The Matrix - chapter 3) I have to say that I feel a more immersive sound field from the 3803 (which replaced my 3802). Don't get me wrong, the 3802 was a fantastic piece, and I have not done enough listening to make a fair comparison (especially since the 3803 isn't broken in yet). But, subjectively out of the box with minor tweaking (levels, speaker distance, etc), the 3803 seems to be an improvement.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Dang Gary! You mentioned two of the three references I've been using these past couple of days, AND right down to the chapters! The Pod race in SW:TPM and the initial Beach Scene in SPR are great for surround liveliness. I'll have to give The Matrix a whirl tomorrow, too!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry I cut my post short, I got called for tree decorating by my kids.

The 3803 has a more open, less compressed sound than the 3802.

Having said that, it also sounds a little more laid back.

I don't know why this would be, but the midrange has more punch.

Now I got to go listen to Eric Clapton.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.