AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in the past there have been questions about some of the Denon receivers and what their true output is. Has anyone found what the Denon 3803 puts out when being used in a 7.1 setup. I think the watt rating they list is based on only running 2 channels. Anyone know?

·
Registered
654 Posts
No, it new enough that there haven't been published tests yet. I would think we'd see something in a few days/weeks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Might be longer on seeing real tests - I have a Pioneer 45 TX and still no test results on this machine even though its been outfor several months.

Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Geez, you guys are forcing me to drag out the scope, signal generator, and load resistors. I regret I don't have a distortion analyser. If I get around to it, would a simple clipping test be okay?

It's easier to just put on a DVD and run it up on all channels.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I believe the older 3801 tested at around 75 watts per channel. My perception is that Denon has made only minor changes to the amp section since then.

The 3803 is certainly far from unique in not being able to deliver full rated power into all channels simultaneously. Almost no HT receivers under $1500-$2000 do this. And the ones that do, such as Harman Kardon and NAD and Rotel, spec their amps more conservatively. So you have the choice of getting a receiver spec'ed at 110wpc but that delivers 75wpc, or one spec'ed at 75 and delivering 75.

There are no options in this price class, that I'm aware of, that both spec and deliver 110-120wpc. An upcoming option will be the HK AVR7200, which is spec'ed at 100wpc and is likely to deliver the same. Advertised price is projected at $1499. With the common HK discounts of 25%-30%, that would put it in the $1050 to $1150 range.

Tom B.

PS Most of these receivers drive one, or even two channels. to rated power and above. The fact is that this meets the vast majority of the needs of most HT owners.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Okay - So a friend is looking at one of the Denons - it has both amp and preamp outputs - He wants to use the Denon for some speakers, and run his heavy speakers and sub with several Phase Linear amps that he's had for a while (and really likes). Any suggestions? What to watch out for?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've been running Denon receivers as pre-amps since the AVR-2500 was out years ago. They sound pretty darn good to me. I'm currently running the 3803 in my living room now with my 5 channel Carver THX amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.