AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time poster here (been lurking a while).

I am in the market for a new receiver and speaker system for H/T & Audio. After reading many posts on this and other forums I have narrowed the receiver to the 3803 and the new Yamaha 2400. I can't say I know a whole lot about the Yamaha unit and have been looking very hard at Denon until this came along. Any guidance, comparison, opinions and input would be greatly appreciated.

Just as an f/y/i, so far the speaker side has got me leaning to a B&W series, most likely the CDM1NT's although I have considered the CM2 as well. I would like to listen to a Vertias (spelling) 2.2 (I am limited to bookshelf only) but do not have anyone locally that carries this line.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information on these systems.

Lee

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I bought the 2400 over the 3803 mostly because of VPAO. everything thing else is fairly equal. The 2400 has THX select, if that matters to you, some debate it's merits. I have a Denon in my greatroom hometheater and I love it. I have a 15 year old Yamaha in my master bedroom that has been a tank. Both have excellent build qualities and are very reliable. I would try to listen to both and see if you prefer one over the other, but you would be really happy with either one. Hope this helps.

Greg

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you like the Energy veritas then also take a listen to the new NHT bookshelf speakers if you can. For the price they are hard to beat (I admit Im biased as I own the t5/m5) they have a similar sound imo.

I purchase the rx-v2400 and this is my current processor but have owned the Denon 3200,3300,3801,3802,4802. The rx-v240 is my first Yammie.

It comes down to personal preference and the feature list you want. Dont let any posts like "the denon smokes the Yammie or visa versa" sway your decision. They are both comparable in sound quality , there sound will differ slightly and only you can say which you prefer. I find the denon maybe just a tad fuller while the Yamaha seems a tad sharper.

The reason I went with the Yammie at this time is because of the auto-eq feature which does really work. My room isnt perfect (almost nobodies is) and it helped equal out my freq curve. This feature combined with the surround enhancement feature that lets you adjust your rear soundfield with adjustable parameters set the Yammie apart (for me anyway) from the competion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information and reply. I've been reading the various threads on the 2400 and like everything else....it's just a matter of preference and opinion (of course $$ too; but I left that out on purpose).

I haven't yet seen/heard the 2400 but I am looking forward to in the near future. The auto setup features do sound attractive to me as it appears to match what "seasoned" ears have manually set on their systems in the past.

Like many newbies on here, just looking to make sure I get the best sound and bang for the buck. I haven't started a thread on speaker selection for matches with the 2400; although no one has really commented pro/con on my original post .

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Lee

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Its more then that abx, "seasoned" ears dont have the ability to equalize there system unless they have some mega-buck equipment. They can set levels,distance etc. but cant eq.

With the new wave of pioneers and Yamaha's you now have the ability to set it on auto pilot and have the eq-ing done in the digital domain (big plus in my book). Its not perfec technolgy yet and can be expanded and improved upon with future models. By stats alone the Yamaha's eq seems to be the most advanced at this point.

Piece of advise, you cant really get a feel for a piece of gear untill you take it home and try it in your environment with your equipment. As an example you may prefer one piece of gear over another in the store but when you get it home it MAY just end up being the opposite.

When I first started in audio and I would read the forums looking for CONCRETE statements and hated when I read something like "its a personal preference" or "there both equal"..hell I wanted somebody to say "this smokes that" as to make the decision easier.In the end all you can really do by reading the forums is rule out the ones that,,, dont have the features you want or have to many bugs or maybe are underpowered and things of that nature. At least this will cut down your list to hopefully just a few and then at that point you really got to do a home demo to decide.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I couldn't have said it better psujohny. The only thing I'm wondering is why an Elite receiver isn't in that list. I was just looking at the Denon and Yamaha until I heard the Elite. Of course if you read the boards very much then you've seen my situation where I have been waiting for someone to make up my mind but psujohny is right. In the end people may be able to rule something out due to features or whatever but they won't totally sell you on just one. I'm in my final stages of deciding whether to keep the 47TX that I picked up or going the the 55Txi. Either way I feel pretty confident that I will go with an Elite because it had the nice full sound of the Denon (or better IMO) but had the auto-eq. Some say no auto-setup is a dumb reason to rule out a receiver but after I heard the elite that I brought home literally transform itself to be perfect for my room I was sold on this feature. Maybe if you are a very technical audio person you will have your own audio meter and do all of your own calibrations but I'm not that type of a guy. I never would have known how good a receiver could sound if I hadn't tried the 47TX with its MCACC auto-setup. If I were you I would seriously look at the Elites to see if one falls in your budget that you like. They will typically have less optical inputs though. Well, I'm sure I've just muddied the water like people do! :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree completely. The irony is that I tried the Elite 53TX the day after having the denon 3803, and the Elite Did NOT do it for me. I found the 'older" and "outdated" denon 3803 to sound better with my system. I had initially tried the new Sony3000ES, but the amount of hiss coming from all speakers at moderate listening levels was horrific.

So, I tried the denon, really liked it, but the look of it and knowing it's an "old" model made me think maybe the Elite would be best, so I returned the denon and got the elite.

To me, in my system, it sounded thin, and not as full a sound with my room and Atlantic Technology 450e system. The denon hit the mark, so I'm back to the store, for a third time, to return a unit and finally pick up the Denon. Now, to figure out if I want the 3803 or 4802!!

Eric

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Eric,

I know your situation exactly.. It sure is a PAIN in the arse (swapping things in/out and running back/forth to the store) BUT it is well worth it in the end. If you hadnt had all of them in your house to demo, you would have been ALWAYS questioning your purchase..."did I get the right one ? maybe the other one blows it away ?, maybe the other one is warmer, maybe brighter,maybe fuller,maybe duller etc. etc.

Then you would have came back to the forum looking for refirmation that you made the right purchase, looking for closure but the problem is, that you CANT get full closure in your mind by readings forums and them lingering doubts drive you crazy..

Congrats on going through the trouble and getting what you want!....untill next year that is :)

PS. I have been mislead a billion times by reading forums and taking somebodies opinion on what a piece of gear SOUNDED like to heart...somebody would say "product A's sound sucks in comparision to product B"...but when I actually listened in my house, the outcome imo was just the opposite (not always though)....

I like bologna and tell you its tastes great...but when you try it you may say this sucks !....neither one of us are lying....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Playing with my Yamaha 1400 and Sony 3000ES tonight, I realized something about the 1400. If people are going to 'know' if the 1400/2400 and YPAO are 'right for them', they potential customer has to try the unit in their system. This might mean a lot of returns for retailers.

If your purchase is a month or two away, I'd give the the Sony 3000ES a try along with the others. Of course this is assuming they fix the hiss issue. If they don't, no one is going to buy them, even though they sound very good (it has to be a manufacturing flaw...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.