AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi


I have deceided to get myself an Av receiver and the final 2 receivers that stand out is the Denon 3805 and the Yammie 2500.


I have read different reviews about both receivers but due to my inexperiance in HT I am unable to clearly differentiate a winner..


I am currently on a learning curve and I need to make a good decision now so that a few months down the line (after reading up on HT) I will be happy to know that I have made the right decision.


Any advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I am torn between these 2 units as well. I think both are really nice but I'm leaning toward the Denon. The new Elites might throw another wrench into the equation, at least for me. For what it's worth, the Denons are considered nuetral sounding and the Yamahas bright from what I've read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
@THX...

Don't always go by what you have heard others say as it may not be so. the recent Yamaha AVRs (in the RXV* class) do not sound bright or at least not unlike any other brand in the same price range. If it is at all possible (as CCarncross indicated) go out and listen for yourself and evaluate based on the things that are most important to you (e.g. features, upgradability, ease of use, accuracy of sound or build quality etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I was in the a similar situation as you were last year. By all means check both out if you can. Read about the features and look to see which if any you can't live without, although they are both quite similar. As corny as it may sound to some, I needed phono inputs. The auto leveling and EQ features are nice although some folks don't like them. What type of speakers do you have or will you be getting, how big is the room and how loud do you like your entertainment? Are you going for 2 channel, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc? The reason I ask it some vendors lie about the power provided with all channels driven.


check out the link below and look at the bottom of the page.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...5_review10.php


You can apply a similar process to the Yami.


Before someone jumps in and calls me a Denon Basher, I am happy owner of a AVR3805.


Good luck, it's your money, your choice and time is on your side. :cool:

-john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmexec
@THX...

Don't always go by what you have heard others say as it may not be so. the recent Yamaha AVRs (in the RXV* class) do not sound bright or at least not unlike any other brand in the same price range. If it is at all possible (as CCarncross indicated) go out and listen for yourself and evaluate based on the things that are most important to you (e.g. features, upgradability, ease of use, accuracy of sound or build quality etc.)


I agree with the poster. I did not find the Yamaha to be "bright" sounding (and it doesn't sound bright in my current setup). I went in expecting to buy a 3805 or a Pioneer 56txi and ended up with the Yamaha v2500 after listening to all three.


If you get a chance to listen to the 3805, make sure to listen to it how well it plays/drives the lower frequencies. When I auditioned it, it was way to "mushy"; both the Yamaha and Pioneer were much better at reproducing lower frequencies (we tried all 3 receivers against 3 different subs---two 10", one 12") Maybe it was just *that* Denon demo receiver as others are plenty happy with it. (Capt Obvious comment) Try to listen to both and go with the one that sounds best to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibreKid
I was in the a similar situation as you were last year. By all means check both out if you can. Read about the features and look to see which if any you can't live without, although they are both quite similar. As corny as it may sound to some, I needed phono inputs. The auto leveling and EQ features are nice although some folks don't like them. What type of speakers do you have or will you be getting, how big is the room and how loud do you like your entertainment? Are you going for 2 channel, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc? The reason I ask it some vendors lie about the power provided with all channels driven.


check out the link below and look at the bottom of the page.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...5_review10.php


You can apply a similar process to the Yami.


Before someone jumps in and calls me a Denon Basher, I am happy owner of a AVR3805.


Good luck, it's your money, your choice and time is on your side. :cool:

-john



Yeah, I hate that type of marketing...the v2500 has a nice big sticker (that you can remove) that says "130w x 7 channels"---yeah right. I haven't had any problems (i.e. no clipping or amp shutting itself off) with my v2500 driving my 7 speakers at an enjoyable listening level, but I'm not fooling myself thinking that I can get 130w all channels driven out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I will definitely listen to both when it comes time to make a purchase, about a month from now. I agree you have to listen to everything, although it my case the denon and the yamaha are an hour drive from eachother so different store/room/speakers. I will see if I can demo both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1720
I will definitely listen to both when it comes time to make a purchase, about a month from now. I agree you have to listen to everything, although it my case the denon and the yamaha are an hour drive from eachother so different store/room/speakers. I will see if I can demo both.


make the drive, trust me it's worth it.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top