AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all So I finaly got a bluray player (sony s570)

Problem is my Denon 3805 has no HDMI so I am using the digital coax

Since the denon will not do dolby true HD via coax I am torn what to do .

Get a new Bluray with 7.1-Channel Analog Output and still keep my denon

OR Upgrade the Denon to a newer HDMI reciever .

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
29,309 Posts
If you're happy with your receiver get a BD player with 7.1 analog outs. It'll be less expensive than buying a new receiver that performs as good as the 3805.

The quality using the optical out is still very good, better than standard DVD audio. You may not notice the difference between lossless HD audio and the audio you're currently getting using the optical connection.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I have a 3805 and bought a player with analog outs. It sounds great. But, lossless over analog rarely sounds better than the high bitrate lossy codecs sent over coax.

Most Blu-rays only have one English track. If a disc only has TrueHD, the output over coax will be DD 5.1 at 640kbps, just like dts-MA is output as DTS. You don't need to use PLII to get surround sound.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
??

If you can't get audio when playing a TrueHD track, that would be a problem with your player setup, not with the AVR. What are the audio output settings on the S570?

Commentary tracks are often just stereo and not the selection to make to watch a movie.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander
??

If you can't get audio when playing a TrueHD track, that would be a problem with your player setup, not with the AVR. What are the audio output settings on the S570?

Commentary tracks are often just stereo and not the selection to make to watch a movie.
I am using the Digital coax out of the S570 to my avr

True HD will only output Via HDMI no ?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The settings he meant are the audio output...

Is the 570 set Bitstream or PCM? (Sony gives a convoluted set of settings that don't just say Bitstream or PCM. Regardless, the BD player needs to be set PCM)

Basically, if you sent bitstream out the Sony...the Denon goes "what it this?"

If you send it PCM it will know what to do.

I could be mistaken on that receiver(whether it can handle bitstream...being a XX05, who really remembers)...but regardless, switch the audio in the Sony.

And most BD players...you have to tell it if it is connected to a TV(so it only sends 2.0 PCM) or an AVR(so it will send 5.1...bitstream or PCM)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27

No. As stated earlier, analog outs from the player to your ext-in inputs on your receiver will work beautifully. However, you will need to calibrate levels and ta on the player in most cases.

I still use my Denon 3802 and I have had full HD Audio support since it was released. In fact, the DACs on your receiver will be older than whatever blueray player you buy.

Also, chances are you upgrade your bluray more often than your receiver. Every time I upgrade the source component, it sounds loads better simply because DAC modules improve. Using hdmi with the receiver decoding locks you into the quality of your receiver's DACs.

The Oppo is one of the best choices and will sound fantastic.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27

When using digital coax, the player will output DD 5.1 instead of TrueHD because the S/PDIF protocol used with coax and optical is limited to the legacy lossy codecs and to stereo PCM.

Your Sony player has settings for the non-HDMI digital outputs. It does not use the term "bitstream". Set the Dolby output to Dolby Digital (not PCM) and the DTS output to DTS (not PCM).

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
schan1269 - Pretty much everything in that post is wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
The settings he meant are the audio output...

Is the 570 set Bitstream or PCM? (Sony gives a convoluted set of settings that don't just say Bitstream or PCM. Regardless, the BD player needs to be set PCM)
Not correct. When set to PCM, the player will output stereo, not 5.1, because a coax connection is limited to two channels of PCM. When set to bitstream, the player will send DD 5.1 instead of TrueHD. The software knows to do that to provide backwards compatibility with the older interface that doesn't support lossless bitstreams or multichannel PCM.

Quote:
Basically, if you sent bitstream out the Sony...the Denon goes "what it this?"

If you send it PCM it will know what to do.
That's wrong. As noted above, the player knows to send DD 5.1 over an S/PDIF connection such as coax.

Quote:
I could be mistaken on that receiver(whether it can handle bitstream...being a XX05, who really remembers)...but regardless, switch the audio in the Sony.
Of course it can handle DD 5.1 and DTS bitstreams.

Quote:
And most BD players...you have to tell it if it is connected to a TV(so it only sends 2.0 PCM) or an AVR(so it will send 5.1...bitstream or PCM)
??? TVs don't have coax or optical inputs. If you connect to a TV using HDMI, the handshake negotiates a workable connection. If you connect using analog red/white, then the output is stereo. So, you never need to tell the player whether it's connected to a TV or a receiver

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Ok, fine(and I even said so in the post), I had it backwards.

He needs the bitstream not the PCM.

There were issues with Denon "back when" about their abilities to even handle bitstream. There have been numerous threads over the years about firmware for this, firmware for that...

Denon is also known for including one codec, but not another(like decoding for DD but leaving out DTS).

Currenty, you even have to check a Denon for inclusion of both DPL IIz and DSX. Unlike Onkyo(except for the "first year") which includes both, always. Denon still includes DPL IIz without DSX or DSX without DPL IIz.

So, forgive my "non complete knowledge" of a 6 year old Denon, when it is hard enough just to attempt to keep track of the last 2 years.

ie...

Which models "hop and skip" HDMI upconversion?

Which models "hop and skip" upscaling?

Which models "hop and skip" IIz?

Which models "hop and skip" Networking?

and on, and on.

How many AVR manufacturers DROP features when they MOVE UP a number? 1, and they are Denon.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 /forum/post/0

BIslander all my settings were correct ..

What are the player audio settings?

When you play a True-HD track, what does the Denon display show about the audio format and the number of channels arriving from the player?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.