AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my head around a receiver selection. I think I have it narrowed down to two Denon choices. I have decided to wait on HDMI. Plan is to buy a refurb unit now and save some $, but I need some help as to whether the more expensive option is worth it.

The 3805 is more feature rich and more powerful, but I have no idea if I will use any of those features or appreciate any of the technical benefits. For example, THD on 3805 is .05 vs .08 on 1907. I know .05 is better, but is that really noticeable? How about Burr-Brown DACs? or Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit? 120 watts x7 for 3805 is obviously better than 85 watts x7 for 1907, but if 85 is more than enough why do I need 120?

Both have more than enough ins and outs for my needs. I'm going with STB & DVD direct to plasma via HDMI and just need optical ins for audio. Will also have a high capacity CD changer. Planning a 5.1 with most likely either Ascend or X-series speakers and SVS box sub.

I want ability to control separate pair of speakers in different room, and it seems either choice is fine for that. The 1907 does have iPod compatibility, but that is a non factor for me right now.

Difference in price is $183, which I don't mind paying at all if I am getting some fairly obvious benefit. I know a lot of this is personal preference regarding bells and whistles, I just have such a low IQ in regard to this technology I feel like I'm better off flipping a coin than thinking about it too much more. I'm already obsessing on speakers, and already did on display - I'm obsessed-out at this point! If someone can provide some wisdom I would hugely appreciate it.

3805 specs

1907 specs

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you don't mind waiting for all this HDMI thing to settle down, I wouldn't think twice; grab to 3805, no questions, IMO. It's a real nice piece of gear though.

Cheers / Avliner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.