AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Istn't the 4802 two generations old now. If I am right I believe the 3805 will provide newer DACS, video up conversion, auto-set up, newer DSP processing, better bass management, more flexible zone management and a very cool remote.

· Registered
77 Posts
The AVR-4802 will have a beefier powersupply and amplifier section though...

My feeling is that if you can calibrate the system yourself and have speakers that don't need EQ'ing, the 4802 will sound much better. On the other hand, the 3805 is more user-friendly and will beat the 4802 when you add an outboard amplifier (although the 4802 has a better pre-amp stage ... so the 4802 + outboard amp will be better yet).

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GX-Alan
(although the 4802 has a better pre-amp stage ... so the 4802 + outboard amp will be better yet).
Just wondering what the basis of this statement is...what tests you can point to to back this up.

Unless you have very inefficient, power hungry speakers I would get the 3805 - Auto setup, room EQ and PLIIx are compelling features.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
I second JBaumgart's opinion. In fact, for the time being the 3805 will beat the 4802 in every field except raw power.

Please consider that the sound obtained from a receiver when a power amp is added depends on many things, not only the pre amp output stages:

ADCs and DACs: 3805 beats the 4802.

Processing capabilities: 3805 beats 4802 (better decoding capabilities, for instance), with the exception of the second DSP inside the 4802 in charge of THX postprocessing.

Surround processing features: 3805 beats 4802.

And so on.

Please consider that it is almost impossible to have a speakers set that doesn't need equalisation (at least to some extent). Bad room acoustics and speakers with poor frequency response are some of the reasons Autoeq is such a valuable feature!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.