AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys....anyone that owns this receiver that knows anything about this can you let me know something? I have the PS3 and when watching "The Decent" on blu-ray the PS3 displays this as outputting 7.1 LPCM though the movie is 6.1 LPCM so what should the 3806 display either on the "front display" or in the "on screen display menu"?
. I have the PS3 hooked up through the HDMI cable and when I watch the movie the only thing that shows up is 5.1 speakers lit up on the "front display" and 3/2.1 in the "on screen display menu"....Doesn't even show an EX or ES type flag...like 3/3.1 discrete in the "on screen display menu" when you want to check the source and signal.

I had posted another thread about denons customer service so... as you can probably guess...I haven't been able to get a response from denon

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I didn't think that any BR or HD-DVD could actually output anything over 5.1 PCM right now. I believe it is a function of the firmware on all BR and HD-DVD players. Yes, the disk could read as 7.1, but if the player cannot process anything more than 5.1, that is what it would show.

I am basing this from a past conversation and not based on fact. So if I am wrong so be it, but I think it is a close bet from what I remember hearing.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes the ps3 can...you can select anything that your avr can handle...5.1...7.1...or 2ch. pcm along with the different freq. for each one.

Brian

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 /forum/post/0

yes the ps3 can...you can select anything that your avr can handle...5.1...7.1...or 2ch. pcm along with the different freq. for each one.

Brian

I think the PS3 might default to the 5.1 LPCM mode. You might want to go in uncheck everything that is not 7.1 it the PS3 Sound setup. See what happens. It does have 7.1 listed in there, so you might just have to manually select it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Ok guys....anyone that owns this receiver that knows anything about this can you let me know something? I have the PS3 and when watching "The Decent" on blu-ray the PS3 displays this as outputting 7.1 LPCM though the movie is 6.1 LPCM so what should the 3806 display either on the "front display" or in the "on screen display menu"? . I have the PS3 hooked up through the HDMI cable and when I watch the movie the only thing that shows up is 5.1 speakers lit up on the "front display" and 3/2.1 in the "on screen display menu"....Doesn't even show an EX or ES type flag...like 3/3.1 discrete in the "on screen display menu" when you want to check the source and signal.

I have a Denon 2807 but this may pertain to the 3806, not sure.

I put in the Descent in my ps3 and on the main menu of the movie I selected 6.1 LPCM audio from the language menu as normal ( it had regular dd or whatever as an option as well ). I then started watching the movie and noticed that the display on the 2807 read multi-channel direct + PLIIX ( I have overlayed PLLIIX onto any LPCM 5.1 source, so the reciever remembers and does this ) ...But on the left of the 2807 display it only showed 5.1 channels coming in as the source...

While the movie was playing I hit the top menu button of the ps3 remote and clicked on language. Even though I had chosen 6.1 lossless audio before even starting the movie and also given the fact that 6.1 lossless apeeared to be the current highlited choice....I hit the 6.1 option again just to make sure ...as soon as I did this and went back to the movie it was now showing the Desecent as a 7.1 direct source. ( and no PLIIx WAS BEING APPLIED ).

So, First off, for some reason I had to click the 6.1 lossless audio option on the dvd menu twice ( once during playback ) to get the correct signal.

Secondly, the Descent's a 6.1 source but it DOES showup as a 7.1 lossless source on the 2807.

So you can put this 3806 question to bed ( does the 3806 accept a full 7.1 source or just 5.1 )...

When you put in the movie it should show up as a 7.1 source ( left side of the the 3806 display ) ..If it doesnt, then the 3806 can only do 5.1 LPCM ..So let us know

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

I have a Denon 2807 but this may pertain to the 3806, not sure.

I put in the Descent in my ps3 and on the main menu of the movie I selected 6.1 LPCM audio from the language menu as normal ( it had regular dd or whatever as an option as well ). I then started watching the movie and noticed that the display on the 2807 read multi-channel direct + PLIIX ( I have overlayed PLLIIX onto any LPCM 5.1 source, so the reciever remembers and does this ) ...But on the left of the 2807 display it only showed 5.1 channels coming in as the source...

While the movie was playing I hit the top menu button of the ps3 remote and clicked on language. Even though I had chosen 6.1 lossless audio before even starting the movie and also given the fact that 6.1 lossless apeeared to be the current highlited choice....I hit the 6.1 option again just to make sure ...as soon as I did this and went back to the movie it was now showing the Desecent as a 7.1 direct source. ( and no PLIIx WAS BEING APPLIED ).

So, First off, for some reason I had to click the 6.1 lossless audio option on the dvd menu twice ( once during playback ) to get the correct signal.

Secondly, the Descent's a 6.1 source but it DOES showup as a 7.1 lossless source on the 2807.

So you can put this 3806 question to bed ( does the 3806 accept a full 7.1 source or just 5.1 )...

When you put in the movie it should show up as a 7.1 source ( left side of the the 3806 display ) ..If it doesnt, then the 3806 can only do 5.1 LPCM ..So let us know

Thanks for this response! I will try this today and see what happends and post my results.

Take care,

Brian

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I haven't tested it yet but I did finally get a response from denon after waiting over 2 weeks for a response. He first said "what 7.1 source was I using" and I replied to him that I used the PS3 and the movies "the decent" and "crank" and that the movies were 6.1 LPCM but the PS3 displayed it as outputting 7.1 LPCM but the 3806 only showed it as 5.1...not 7.1 and also not even 6.1. Then I got his reply and he said "you have to hit the 5.1/7.1 button because it cant switch automatically with pcm". I then replied wondering what the 5.1/7.1 button was since I am unaware of such a button
.... I am now waiting for his next reply.

*Does anyone with the 3806 know what this button is that he says to push
???...I wonder if he knows what he is talking about....I know I was very clear in just wanting to know if the 3806 could process 7.1 LPCM through hdmi.

Brian

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/0

I called and talked to denon about my 4306 and they told me that the reciever has to be in direct mode. i tried what they told me to do and still no luck. They are supposed to call me tomorrow.

jjam_20, when you talk to them let me know what they tell you....When I receive there response I will post what they say.

I was also told that putting the surround mode on "multi ch. pure direct" or "multi ch. direct" you would be by-passing denons bass management which would not be a good idea depending on your setup so I hope you don't have to do something like that to get 7.1 LPCM. I don't think they are right about that because I have tried it in multi ch. direct, pure, etc.. and still no 7.1 or 6.1 LPCM. If I am unable to get 7.1 LPCM on my 3806 I will return it and maybe look at one of the Pioneer Elite as long as their LFE boost issues are fixed.

Take care

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 /forum/post/0

*Does anyone with the 3806 know what this button is that he says to push
???...I wonder if he knows what he is talking about....I know I was very clear in just wanting to know if the 3806 could process 7.1 LPCM through hdmi.

Probably means the "Surround Back" button. On the older Denons it was labelled as the 5.1/7.1 button.

This switches on your Surround Back speakers.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
I was also told that putting the surround mode on "multi ch. pure direct" or "multi ch. direct" you would be by-passing denons bass management which would not be a good idea depending on your setup so I hope you don't have to do something like that to get 7.1 LPCM.

The 2807 has bass management in " direct mode" ..hell I even tried "pure direct mode" which turns off the 2807's led display and even in this mode I get all bass management and can even apply the Audessey EQ and PLIIx to the LPCM signal...I dont think he's correct about the 3806 not applying BM in "direct mode"

Brian, you need to do what I suggested and try that ...instead of trying to make sense of what some customer support person for Denon said

All you should have to do is have the 3806 in multi-channel direct ( and assuming you already have it set up for 7.1 in the main menu of the 3806 ), set the ps3 up as you have and then slap in Descent ..and try it ...like I said make sure and go back to the descent menu while playing the movie and select 6.1 LPCM again. It SHOULD show up as a 7.1 source ( on left side of the 3806 display )

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
What should be displayed on the Denons front panel?

Multi-channel direct should be displayed..And on the left side it should show 7.1 speakers "boxes" ( sides and back channels, LFE and front three speakers ) as the source. And of course on the right side it should show 7.1 speaker "boxes" that its going out to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
this is the response i got from Denon. I am about to call them back because as far as i know what they are saying is not true.

"The PS3 outputs only 5.1 at this time for games and I don't believe

there are any movie titles with 7.1 on them. We have been running the

PS3 for a while now and we have only seen 5.1 audio on any of the

discs.

He needs to enter 'Surround Parameter' and adjust the Surround Back

channels operations (recommend set to 'Matrix') to get a 7.1 output

with

a 5.1 input."

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
"The PS3 outputs only 5.1 at this time for games and I don't believe

there are any movie titles with 7.1 on them. We have been running the

PS3 for a while now and we have only seen 5.1 audio on any of the

discs

Wrong wrong and wrong. The ps3 can and does output 7.1 LPCM on select game titles ( Resistence being true 7.1 and Iv verified this to be true, also a couple of game demos Ive downloaded from the sony website are 7.1). Secondly the movie "Descent" may not be true 7.1 but it aint 5.1 either ...its 6.1 but the Denon "sees" it as a true 7.1 LPCM source, as Ive evidenced on the 2807 display.

Man, we must have a few clowns over at Denon ...Thank God , there not the ones who engineered the recievers or they wouldnt function properly as they do.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok...sorry it took a little longer to post back but you are right about clowns at denon customer support. I just checked the latest response from denon and the guy said the 5.1/7.1 button is the "7ch. stereo" button
. I know that couldn't be right so I typed in the description of the "7ch. stereo" mode to him from the 3806 manual and asked him how could that possibly work or sound right for a movie soundtrack recorded for multichannel etc..

Yea, they are soooo wrong about the ps3...Maybe they are confusing it with Atari

***psujohny...How do know if the bass management is being bypassed? My X-overs are not set at the usual 80hz, I have them set to 40hz mains...60hz center and surrounds...120 LFE and I have the speakers set to large and subwoofer set to LFE+Main. Psujohny, I will still try what you said with the movie as soon as I can and see what happends, though I have suspicion the 3806 just will not do anything over 5.1 PCM.

Thanks,

Brian

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.