AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I perform/check for updates for denon 3803 twice or once a month. The last time i checked for updates was dec 2009. I decided to perform and check for updates yesterday. It was 2min sub-firmware update. It was all fine until I performed the latest update.

My current/latest Denon 3808 Firmware Versions

Main Ver = 02.04

Sub Ver = 01.11

DSP1 Ver = 36.60

DSP2 Ver = 39.49

Ethernet IMG = I200809050744

Ethernet BL = B200707020733

Ethernet CNE = C20080905

WEB = W200809050808

GUI FPGA CONFIG = A080719A

GUI PRG = 00007621

GUI DAT = 37750020

DGTL PLD = 00.50

Here is my setup.

Denon 3803

PS3 [Hooked via HDMI]

HTPC [Hooked via DVI-HDMI Cable for Video, Optical For Audio ]

TV - Philips 42pf9966 [Hooked via HDMI to Denon 3808]

HTPC Details

Windows 7 64bit

Gigabyte - MA 78GPM DS2H with Intergrated ATI Radeon HD3200

All latest Drivers

My Philips Plasma TV 42PF9966 Supports the following Resolution via HDMI

1280 x 720

1920 x 1080

1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz [XGA]

Before the denon update

My HTPC is set to 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz. The display could fill the entire screen of my plasma and since refresh rate is at 60Hz the display quality was vivid and clear as you would expect.

After the update

All appeared normal, until I tried to switch on my HTPC. The HTPC was powered on but i could not get any display. I could that my plasma TV is trying to get the signal [slightly flicker] but the display was still blank.

I tried to diagnose the problem.

1. PS3 working all perfectly [via denon HDMI to my TV]

2. TV is working fine.

3. I hooked normal pc monitor to my HTPC, it was fine.

4. I even connected my HTPC to my TV directly in both [HDMI and DVI-HDMI cables respectably ] worked fine perfectly. The resolution was 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

I hooked back my HTPC to Denon and Denon to TV. After numerous attempts I got a signal on my display. It was not 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz. It was 1280 x 720. The image was not filling the entire area of my TV. I tried to change the resolution on the computer to 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz . It even stated recommenced but when i tried to select and apply, after a few flicker it would not change.

I later change to 1920 x 1080. It filled almost the entire screen but not as good as 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz. Since the refresh rate is 30 Hz there is some noise on the display. This would by temporary resolution until i found the fix.

I can conclude that in the update there could be some kind of bug that is preventing 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz signal.

Please advise.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18139481

Was / is that resolution even supported by Denon?

Most AVR's will not pass that.

Thanks for your reply,

have u read my entire post?

It use to support that resolution.. but after the update it can't work..

Experts please advise..

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
By "supported" I believe John means "officially supported" not "it worked." Many receivers have trouble with resolutions other than standard TV resolutions. Hypothetically, it may have worked before by accident, although it was never tested and officially supported by Denon, but the new update broke it because they don't test that capability, since they don't claim it works (again, hypothetically).

Is that resolution listed in the receiver documentation as usable?

Either way, you should contact Denon support to let them know the update broke your preferred resolution. Even if it's not officially supported, they may fix it if people complain.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18144756

By "supported" I believe John means "officially supported" not "it worked." Many receivers have trouble with resolutions other than standard TV resolutions. Hypothetically, it may have worked before by accident, although it was never tested and officially supported by Denon, but the new update broke it because they don't test that capability, since they don't claim it works (again, hypothetically).

Is that resolution listed in the receiver documentation as usable?

Either way, you should contact Denon support to let them know the update broke your preferred resolution. Even if it's not officially supported, they may fix it if people complain.

Thank you for your reply. I am email the denon support it would be also great if i could have the email for denon firmware department, hence i could email them directly.

I have not performed the "additional feature " upgrade yet. i wonder if i did that would it fix the problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18146063

My "expert" advice is to not expect that to work. You got lucky before.

Not that I really consider myself an expert, but some others seem to.

I was lucky before and not lucky anymore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18146779

A read of the 3808 owner's manual shows no reference to 1024x768 resolution being supported.

There is no reference but it used to work. I hope they can fix this problem in the next update.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Philips Plasma TV 42PF9966 has only one HDMI Port

The ideal solution for me would be to get a 2-way HDMI switcher (a - b switch)

HTPC----|____ My TV 42PF9966
Denon---|

What is the best 2-way HDMI switcher that would not degrade signal ?

But it's also sad that my denon have HDMI ports available and i can't use them at the moment.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
HDMI switches don't degrade the signal. Monoprice.com has inexpensive and well-regarded HDMI switches if you decide to get one.

However, that is a widescreen TV, so 720p resolution should be filling your entire screen. If, as you indicate, it is not, then something is not configured correctly. Select 1280x720 resolution on the HTPC with it connected directly to the TV. Make sure your HTPC monitor options are set to "widescreen" or "16x9," not "standard screen," "4x3," or even "16x10" (which is common for PC monitors). Next check the "zoom," "screen" or "aspect ratio" settings in the TV setup menus and you should find a setting that properly fills the display screen with no distortions.

If you do get one that works, reconnect through the Denon receiver and make sure it's still working right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18157757

HDMI switches don't degrade the signal. Monoprice.com has inexpensive and well-regarded HDMI switches if you decide to get one.

However, that is a widescreen TV, so 720p resolution should be filling your entire screen. If, as you indicate, it is not, then something is not configured correctly. Select 1280x720 resolution on the HTPC with it connected directly to the TV. Make sure your HTPC monitor options are set to "widescreen" or "16x9," not "standard screen," "4x3," or even "16x10" (which is common for PC monitors). Next check the "zoom," "screen" or "aspect ratio" settings in the TV setup menus and you should find a setting that properly fills the display screen with no distortions.

If you do get one that works, reconnect through the Denon receiver and make sure it's still working right.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually every thing is configured properly. My Philips 42pf9966 when in hdmi signal it does not have zoom function.

When my htpc is connect directly to my TV it take as 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz [which is the optimum]

As i mention in my post, when connected via denon that resoultion does not work (use to support "un-officially" before latest update. )

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird2003 /forum/post/18159021

Thanks for your reply.

Actually every thing is configured properly. My Philips 42pf9966 when in hdmi signal it does not have zoom function.

I'm sorry, but I believe it is not. Your TV has an aspect ratio of 16x9. 720p video has an aspect ratio of 16x9. If everything is configured correctly in the setup menus, 720p video will entirely fill the screen. If the 720p video does not fill the screen (which you state is what you are observing) one or more of your settings is incorrect.

It may not be labeled "zoom" but there is something that controls the displayed aspect ratio. I mentioned some of the other common names for that function in my previous post. It may actually be your HTPC settings if the computer has been told you have a 4x3 display.

If, as you insist, your settings are all "correct", then your TV is clearly defective and should be returned or serviced because it is incapable of properly displaying 16x9 material without distorting the video's aspect ratio (which is what must happen for it to not fill the screen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird2003 /forum/post/18159021

As i mention in my post, when connected via denon that resoultion does not work (use to support "un-officially" before latest update. )

Yes, you mentioned that the display is not filled by 720p (or 1080p) video, which is why I'm telling you that something isn't set correctly. Run through the steps I gave in my last post and let me know what happens.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18159104

I'm sorry, but I believe it is not. Your TV has an aspect ratio of 16x9. 720p video has an aspect ratio of 16x9. If everything is configured correctly in the setup menus, 720p video will entirely fill the screen. If the 720p video does not fill the screen (which you state is what you are observing) one or more of your settings is incorrect.

It may not be labeled "zoom" but there is something that controls the displayed aspect ratio. I mentioned some of the other common names for that function in my previous post. It may actually be your HTPC settings if the computer has been told you have a 4x3 display.

If, as you insist, your settings are all "correct", then your TV is clearly defective and should be returned or serviced because it is incapable of properly displaying 16x9 material without distorting the video's aspect ratio (which is what must happen for it to not fill the screen).

Yes, you mentioned that the display is not filled by 720p (or 1080p) video, which is why I'm telling you that something isn't set correctly. Run through the steps I gave in my last post and let me know what happens.

Thanks for your reply and concern. I entirely agree with you 720p is 16 x 9.

The problem does not exist when connected directly to my tv.

I have decided to opt for the switcher option. I have also email denon. As their support is slow. The switch would do the trick.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.