AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forums, but figured this was the best place to ask this. I recently bought a Samsung 52" LCD HDTV and was looking into upgrading my sound system to go with this.

I have narrowed my receiver choice down to the ones listed in the title. For speakers I'm going to initially use what I have, but ultimately I think I've settled on the av123 ELT525 MFW-15 subwoofer set.

I'm going to be using my system for approx 70/30 HT to music. Anyone have opinions on what receiver I should go with, or will I really be able to notice a difference between these?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Any of these will serve your needs. The 876 has a better video processor in it than the other two. However it like any video processor in an AVr is not fully implemented. The 876 is a proven receiver as for power by reviewers and testers alike for at least getting close to its specs. The 3808CI has been replaced by a newer model the 4310. The 7002 is a little long in the tooth as for its a year older than the other two. It also has a strong following. The 876 does use Audyssey Multi-EQ XT as does the 3808CI I believe. However if you get an older version of the 3808 you will have to pay an extra $100 to download Dynamic Volume and apply it. The 876 already has it. For the Denon 3808 I suggest you contact Batpig as he is the Denon guru. As for the other two I suggest you read their dedicated threads and see if there is anything there that may help you in making your decision. Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose. They are all very good AVR's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought that any of them would probably suit my needs. The only thing I don't like about the marantz is that it doesn't upconvert to 1080i/p, but I guess that is what my individual components should do themselves anyway.

I also at some point want to hook up a macmini for computing options. Will any of these receivers be better for that?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Can't help you with PC connection. That would be for someone else to answer for you thats doing it. From reading the thread on the 876 it will do it. Haven't followed the other threads that closely. The 3808 and 7002 I just don't know. I know the 876 will do what you want as for 1080p,power,connectivity and it full implementation of Audyssey. The Marantz won't. The 3808 will with the upgrade for $100. You may want to ask in their dedicated threads. Sorry I know this isn't much help but I don't use a PC with my setup and haven't even considered it. Batpig can answer your questions on the Denons. I know after trying out the 3808 and the 876 with my setup I felt that the 876 was much better. No dealers around me that carry Marantz. I have read that even with Marantz's new 8003 pre-pro Audyssey was still not implemented as it should.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I own a 3808 and can tell you that it is a SUPERB AVR, if not a bit involved, but you can be assured of fantastic sound quality (it also bench-tested well) and the ability to do just about anything you choose to do on the audio side (this includes outputting digital inputs to zones 2 and 3, which I don't think the Onkyo can perform...important to me, but perhaps not to others).

That said, I agree with pahntom52 that the 876 possesses a superior video chipset and will do the heavy lifting a bit better than the 3808. But, 90+% of my sources are 1080 and 720P, so that wasn't a priority to me (a Kuro helps too,
).

Regardless of your choice the 3808 and 876 are top-notch, especially for their price points. Without additional text, I would eliminate the marantz. Great company, great products, but no sense in dating yourself with this particular unit, IMO.

Does the macmini possess an HDMI output. If so, done. Otherwise a DVI to HDMI cable is available to pass the video. You may need to then supply a toslink or coax for the audio.

Good luck,

James

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason I was looking at the marantz was because I can get it for about $200 less than the Onkyo and it seems like it had everything I need sans the upscaling. But, most if not all of my sources are 1080 so it really shouldn't matter. I've also read that the marantz have superior sound over the Onkyo.

As of now I can only find the Denon for $200 more than the Onkyo. So with all that in mind, do you think it is worth the extra $ for the Denon over the Onkyo and furthermore over the Marantz beings as I can get that one the cheapest.

Thanks for the replies so far!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The Marantz should be able to do what you want, if not you can return it. I just don't know enough about the Marantz to give you a definite answer. It seems to be a very capable receiver though. Did you read the dedicated thread on the Marantz 7002/8002? Your answers may be there.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I have just purchased the Marantz sr7002 and I can tell you that it is an easy set up. Pretty easy calibration and simple in everything. It does not have Audyssey on DTS-Master Audio and Dolby Tru-HD though, but all I can tell you that this receiver made me rewatch many movies I own and listen to my collection of CD'S and had gotten me listening to classical music. I cant even tell you which is better, with or without Audyssey, that's how good it sounds like on my simple Infinity primus speakers. It really made them sing.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18198305

I have just purchased the Marantz sr7002 and I can tell you that it is an easy set up. Pretty easy calibration and simple in everything. It does not have Audyssey on DTS-Master Audio and Dolby Tru-HD though, but all I can tell you that this receiver made me rewatch many movies I own and listen to my collection of CD'S and had gotten me listening to classical music. I cant even tell you which is better, with or without Audyssey, that's how good it sounds like on my simple Infinity primus speakers. It really made them sing.

So you finally decided on a receiver!!!! It's about time. Glad your'e enjoying your purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18198110

The Marantz should be able to do what you want, if not you can return it. I just don't know enough about the Marantz to give you a definite answer. It seems to be a very capable receiver though. Did you read the dedicated thread on the Marantz 7002/8002? Your answers may be there.

I am currently reading through the marantz 7002/8002 thread as well as the Onkyo 876 thread. I'll probably read through the Denon 3808 thread as well, but right now that one is a little more priced out of my range compared to the Onkyo and marantz one.

·
Banned
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18198332

So you finally decided on a receiver!!!! It's about time. Glad your'e enjoying your purchase.

Oh thanks phantom. Finally got it. Although I am now looking for an older model. I have to tell you that craigslist dallas is flooded with receivers under 150.00 from yamaha, to denon to marantz and just have purchased a Yamaha htr-5835 with polk r-300 speakers for 130.00 which was paired with a polk audio center and subwoofer that I got for 100.00. I have given away a receiver this weekend to a friend with speakers (technics) and am now looking for a new used one (does that make sense). I don't know whats with me though, I just love this hobby.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 /forum/post/18198358

I am currently reading through the marantz 7002/8002 thread as well as the Onkyo 876 thread. I'll probably read through the Denon 3808 thread as well, but right now that one is a little more priced out of my range compared to the Onkyo and marantz one.

Well as DirtyDeeds has said the Marantz does everything he needs and sounds great so you only need to decide if the $200 is better served elsewhere in your system. If your'e going for the 876 because of its video processing IMO your'e wasting your money. Do realize though that the 876 is upgradeable with a PC connection and the Marantz is not. It would have to be sent back to get their latest firmware. Check the Marantz website for their latest firmware. When I was looking at the 8002 for myself it did NOT have the latest firmware on it and I felt it was a farce on Marantz's part for selling something that expensive and having to immediately send it back for fixes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18198438

Well as DirtyDeeds has said the Marantz does everything he needs and sounds great so you only need to decide if the $200 is better served elsewhere in your system. If your'e going for the 876 because of its video processing IMO your'e wasting your money. Do realize though that the 876 is upgradeable with a PC connection and the Marantz is not. It would have to be sent back to get their latest firmware. Check the Marantz website for their latest firmware. When I was looking at the 8002 for myself it did NOT have the latest firmware on it and I felt it was a farce on Marantz's part for selling something that expensive and having to immediately send it back for fixes.

I'm actually leaning more towards the 876 at this point. I also really like the Denon, but it is $200 more than the Onkyo and for that I could put that money elsewhere towards some better speakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts