AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've owned Denon 3910 for a number of years now and have always found its bass managment system some what complexing.It over basses my system so easily and have found it extremely sensitive when changing speaker large-small settings and varying its subwoolfer crossover points.I listen to alot of Cd's ,SACD's and DVD-Audio and depending on the Disc or genre alot of the time I need to go in to audio setup on the Denon and change bass management most of the time.

My on going thought over the years when I'm in speaker setup is thus.If all my speakers are set to large does the crossover freq set for the subwoolfer 20,40,60 upto 120hz still act as a LFE High cut or is it mute (it still stays adjustable regardless if speakers are set to large or small).If I set my center front speaker to small and all other speakers are set large(which is my normal setup) ,am I adjusting the center speakers crossover point or not by varing the sub crossover

(20,40,60,-120hz) or is it a predetermined point at 80hz LFE high cut like some manufacturers use or possibly 120hz like Sony uses ?

Rick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice ,though the Denon 3910 is an Universal SACD DVD player with internal "bass management" ,concerning subwoolfer crossover and speaker settings its not a AV reciever.

But if you think I'm in the wrong section being a newby and all I'll try over there.

cheers.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
I assume we are talking about a multichannel analog connection, correct?

Whether set to LARGE or SMALL, I do not know if the player's crossover setting truncates the LFE channel or not. There are ways to test this, though. I suspect it might when the speakers are set to SMALL but might not when they are ALL set to LARGE.

Since your player doesn't have a fixed crossover point, then the crossover setting you choose is what will be applied to your SMALL center. My Denon 2200 has a fixed 80Hz crossover. But your player's crossover is variable.

What receiver are you using? Does it have an external input level trim for the subwoofer input?

I assume you have tried calibrating your multichannel analog connection with a calibration DVD such as AVIA. Your player may have a bass management bug. For example, SACDs may not be bass managed the same as DVD-As.

"Audio theory, setup, and chat" is probably the best sub-forum to discuss this. There is also a "sticky" thread, "LFE, Subwoofers, and Interconnects Explained", at the top of that forum that discusses LFE and bass management and some issues that would probably be worth looking at. The players' and receivers' bass management behaviors listed at the end of the initial post in that thread are not at all all-inclusive.

The surround music sub-forum, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts