AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 3910 and a Hitachi 57S715. Is it best to connect through the component input or HDMI? Also if I connect via HDMI should I set the Denon 3910 to 1080i or 720p (the Hitachi outputs either 1080i or 540p)? If I set the 3910 to 720p I would asume the Hitachi converts it to 1080i. Correct?

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
HDMI at 1080i. If you get MB problems with the Hitachi, try 720p.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
Macroblocking is a video problem that plagues all the Faroudja-based players (Denon, Samsung, Yamaha, Zenith). The 3910 is the first Denon with the Faroudja chip in which they seem to have improved it (less of a problem than on the 1910 or other brands; not a problem at all with 720p output). It is only a problem with certain displays, and appears to be more of a problem with plasma and projectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. One more question. In order to utilize the 3910 DAC's for stereo music cd's I would hook up the L/R analog output on the 3910 to the CD analog input of the Denon 3805. Correct?

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerton
Thanks. One more question. In order to utilize the 3910 DAC's for stereo music cd's I would hook up the L/R analog output on the 3910 to the CD analog input of the Denon 3805. Correct?

Greetings,

You have it right. I agree that if you are going to connect the 3910 to your Hitachi, the 1080i setting is the correct choice. This will match the Hitachi's output resolution. The 720p setting will require additional scaling by the Hitachi.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Quote:
I have a Denon 3910 and a Hitachi 57S715. Is it best to connect through the component input or HDMI?
Definitely try both. You may find that you prefer 480p component and the scaler in your Hitachi to the Faroudja scaling in the 3910. Upconverting to 720p or 1080i and using DVI or HDMI does NOT guarantee better video quality. It's very display dependant. Judge with your own eyes, not by what others tell you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How would one route the sound from the DVD player through an AVR if the HDMI is used to connect to the TV? ?Optical to the AVR with the sound turned off on the TV?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
BenF12400,

Yes, that's a typical way to do it. Just ignore the audio being carried by the HDMI cable. Some TV's even have a setting which disables the internal speakers for folks who are using external speakers. That means you don't have to worry about accidentally turning the TV volume back on.

If you are using the internal tuner of the TV, your TV probably also has audio-out connections which you would then also run to your AV Receiver. If the TV has an HDTV tuner, it may very well even have a digital audio output to carry the multi-channel sound from HDTV.

--Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.