AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do with the 4306 what was easy with earlier receivers. I want to output audio from the receiver's active source (whatever that may be at any point in time) to a pre-out port so it can be sent to another system and amplified. In the past, with older receivers, I've used "Aux" and was done with it. The 4306 has no "Aux" and most of its pre-outs are pretty specific (Center, Surround, etc) and don't seem to send a usable signal. I've been able to get the Zone 2 pre-outs to output the correct audio if I also select the source specifically for Zone 2 but I have to reselect a new source for Zone 2 if the main source changes. Otherwise it doesn't work either.

It would be so simple to have an "Aux" pre-out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
What's wrong with using the main/front pre outs if you need volume control/variable level signal, or the (assuming it has) record outs if you need a fixed level signal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

As near as I can tell there is no "Record out" or "main out" preouts. The 4306 has preouts for Front L&R, Center, Surround L&R, Surround Back L&R and Zones 2 & 3. It appears only the "Zones" have the capability for fixed volume levels.

However, I cannot figure any way to have either Zone simply output whatever source is currently selected by the main receiver choice. The source has to be selected discreetly for the Zone each time it changes.

There also appears to be no way to pass audio to the zones if the original source is connected to the 4306 digitally. An attractive feature of a receiver like the 4306 is to be able to simplify and clean up all the input connections by using HDMI whenever possible. Without a duplicate analog audio input I have not been able to get the 4306 to pass HD audio sources to the zones.

Bill

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woward /forum/post/0

As near as I can tell there is no "Record out" or "main out" preouts. The 4306 has preouts for Front L&R, Center, Surround L&R, Surround Back L&R ...

You just contradicted yourself. The above mentioned preouts are EXACTLY "Main out" preouts - is it not what you wanted in the first place ?

Quote:

However, I cannot figure any way to have either Zone simply output whatever source is currently selected by the main receiver choice. The source has to be selected discreetly for the Zone each time it changes.

Well, that's exactly the way the ZONE2/ZONE3 outputs were designed for: sending the signal INDEPENDENTLY from the main zone. If you want the same signal, say - in Main and ZONE2 zones, you have to indeed select separately the same source for both. But that's how it's supposed to work (thank God
).

If you wanted AMPLIFIED copy of the Main zone FL & FR channels in different zone, you could hook up the different zone speakers at the SB speaker outs and set them up as "Front B" (see: manual pg#76).

Quote:

There also appears to be no way to pass audio to the zones if the original source is connected to the 4306 digitally. An attractive feature of a receiver like the 4306 is to be able to simplify and clean up all the input connections by using HDMI whenever possible. Without a duplicate analog audio input I have not been able to get the 4306 to pass HD audio sources to the zones.

That's not accurate, either. My system passes well digital audio inputs to ZONE2 (coax or tosslink), but only the PCM signals.

Hope this personal clarification helps a little

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.