AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new AV Receiver. I currently own a Denon 3805. I have Klipsch KLF-20 Fronts, C7 Center KLF-10 Rear + Klipsch Side and Effect Speakers and a SVS PB-13 Ultra Sub. I am current looking at the Denon 4310CI & the Pioneer Elite SC-27. I have read all the specs and comparison lists for these two, and it would seem to be a difficult choice, both are great. I would appreciate any input or advice on making a choice. Does either unit have any real advantages over the other? How will the Pioneer sound with my Klipsch Speakers vs the Denon? The one thing I like about the Denon is the ability to have A & B Surrounds. Any info would be a help in making this decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
either one will be fine with your speakers...

the best way to determine what to buy...

a) make a list of the features you "need"...

b) make a list of the features you "want"...

c) do you have any "brand loyalty"... there's nothing wrong with that btw... many of us are very brand loyal...

then...

a) which one has all the "need" features...

b) which one has more of the "want" features...

c) determine how much "brand loyalty" is worth to you...

then go from there...

i'd choose the pio, but i'm definitely pio "brand loyal"... so that's merely personal opinion, and probably shouldn't impact your decision...

·
Premium Member
24,163 Posts
PLIIz Height is the most important feature to me (since I have the speakers set up). Any receivers that are not including it are not a candidate for my home theater...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I brought home both a Denon 4310CI and a Pioneer Elite SC-27 this weekend. The Denon was nice, but many of the direct access features of my Denon 3805 were missing. I could no longer adjust speaker levels with the push of one button on the remote. The 4310 seems to require that you go the through the GUI to do this. By the way, the Denon has the nicest GUI I have seen and it can overlay over video for adjustments on the fly. I also could not figure how to cycle through various Surround modes as I could with my 3805 as in PLII Cinema & PLII Music. Once again it had to be done through the GUI. I did not much care for the remote that came with the 4310. Audessy set up was very nice and worked flawlessly. The big problem with the 4310 that I had was HDMI issues. When the GUI was on the HDMI connection would go out and would reacquire about every 15 to 30 seconds, and during a movie it would go out randomly. Due to this reason it had to go back to the store. I brought home a Pioneer SC-27 to try. This thing is a monster. Sound wise it was not that much different than the Denon. Both sound very nice. The good news is that there are no HDMI issues with this unit and many of the features that I liked such as direct access to surround modes, speaker level adjustments and such were available with the touch of a button on the remote. The remote is not the greatest, but serves its purpose, much better than the EL remote from Denon. The bad news, the GUI on the Pioneer is not nearly as refined as the Denon. Many features and adjustments are not available through the GUI. The GUI seems to be there for initial Setup and a few functions. It cannot overlay over video, so it cuts off a movie if you try to use it. Also many of the adjustments cannot be seen on the tv screen such as volume, speaker levels when adjusting from the remote or audio parameters, they only show up on the Receiver display. The MCACC setup works almost as well as Audessy. Another thing that I miss from the Denon is the ability to have A & B Surrounds, but because everything works, I will keep the SC-27 for now. I have 30 days.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-XZ71 /forum/post/16933913

Well, I brought home both a Denon 4310CI and a Pioneer Elite SC-27 this weekend. The Denon was nice, but many of the direct access features of my Denon 3805 were missing. I could no longer adjust speaker levels with the push of one button on the remote. The 4310 seems to require that you go the through the GUI to do this. By the way, the Denon has the nicest GUI I have seen and it can overlay over video for adjustments on the fly. I also could not figure how to cycle through various Surround modes as I could with my 3805 as in PLII Cinema & PLII Music. Once again it had to be done through the GUI. I did not much care for the remote that came with the 4310. Audessy set up was very nice and worked flawlessly. The big problem with the 4310 that I had was HDMI issues. When the GUI was on the HDMI connection would go out and would reacquire about every 15 to 30 seconds, and during a movie it would go out randomly. Due to this reason it had to go back to the store. I brought home a Pioneer SC-27 to try. This thing is a monster. Sound wise it was not that much different than the Denon. Both sound very nice. The good news is that there are no HDMI issues with this unit and many of the features that I liked such as direct access to surround modes, speaker level adjustments and such were available with the touch of a button on the remote. The remote is not the greatest, but serves its purpose, much better than the EL remote from Denon. The bad news, the GUI on the Pioneer is not nearly as refined as the Denon. Many features and adjustments are not available through the GUI. The GUI seems to be there for initial Setup and a few functions. It cannot overlay over video, so it cuts off a movie if you try to use it. Also many of the adjustments cannot be seen on the tv screen such as volume, speaker levels when adjusting from the remote or audio parameters, they only show up on the Receiver display. The MCACC setup works almost as well as Audessy. Another thing that I miss from the Denon is the ability to have A & B Surrounds, but because everything works, I will keep the SC-27 for now. I have 30 days.

You can adjust speakers levels on the fly with the 4310CI, it's on the remote. I missed this at first myself but it's there.

The GUI issue on the Pioneers versus the Denon's is in my opinion the deal breaker. After using the Denon's, the Pioneers or the Onkyo's, etc....

seem old school...

I haven't had any HDMI issues with my 4310, knock on wood, but I'm sure there are certain combinations of components that will not play well together

dc

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher /forum/post/16934850

You can adjust speakers levels on the fly with the 4310CI, it's on the remote. I missed this at first myself but it's there.

The GUI issue on the Pioneers versus the Denon's is in my opinion the deal breaker. After using the Denon's, the Pioneers or the Onkyo's, etc....

seem old school...

I haven't had any HDMI issues with my 4310, knock on wood, but I'm sure there are certain combinations of components that will not play well together

dc

Yeah I really miss the GUI on the Denons, there is really no comparison out there to me. It was difficult to learn at first but once you get used to it, it is tough to go back to a receiver that doesn't have it. I picked the SC-07 over a 4308 based on sound alone because I thought it was a big difference. I only use the receiver for movies and to me it was that much of a difference where I gave up the nice GUI and other nice features the Denon had over the Pioneer. If the sound was not that different to me I would have kept the Denon no doubt. I also never had HDMI issues with the Denon and didn't think that was a known problem. You may want to try another one to make sure it wasn't an issue with the receiver you had.

·
Premium Member
24,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher /forum/post/16934850

seem old school...

dc

It's the Channel Up button. That allows you to adjust speaker levels with the touch of a button.

As for HDMI handshakes... I used plenty of different components with the 4310 and never had a single issue. That is two different displays, 8 different Blu ray players and two different DirecTV HD DVRs... Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My SC-27 sounds great with my Klipsch speakers!

I did a lot of research before I choose one and am very happy with it. (I am listening to Pandora radio right now on my Iphone through the SC-27)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Gordon have you considered a pre/pro? I have a 3808(and love it) and have a EMO EXP-3 . If I was in the market for a new AVR, I would look at the new EMO(UMC-1)coming out soon(I hope) and combine it with a XPA-5. just throwing what I would do if I was in the market.....my two cents

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm /forum/post/16935728

Yeah I really miss the GUI on the Denons, there is really no comparison out there to me. It was difficult to learn at first but once you get used to it, it is tough to go back to a receiver that doesn't have it. I picked the SC-07 over a 4308 based on sound alone because I thought it was a big difference. I only use the receiver for movies and to me it was that much of a difference where I gave up the nice GUI and other nice features the Denon had over the Pioneer. If the sound was not that different to me I would have kept the Denon no doubt. I also never had HDMI issues with the Denon and didn't think that was a known problem. You may want to try another one to make sure it wasn't an issue with the receiver you had.

In my experience the Denon's sound better or as good as the others, Pioneer's, Onkyo's, Yamaha's, etc.... within a given price range.

But I know everybodys mileage varies

It's the user interface (GUI) of the Denon's that sets them apart from the others, imho.

That.... and Denon's commitment to firmware upgrades/updates,

and of course their cutting edge feature lists.

Also nice to see them continue to support and improve DenonLink.

dc

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point, I have decided to keep the Pioneer Elite SC-27. It sounds as good as the Denon 4310 if not a bit better, and sounds better than my Denon 3805 that it replaced. It does everything it is supposed to do. The menus are not as pretty as the Denon and I wish that more of the settings were on the OSD/GUI but these are not deal breakers. It is the sound and functionality that matters the most. Many of the functions that I like to get to quickly are on the remote with touch of one button, no need to go into the GUI such as the Denon. I did find the button on the Denon remote that lets you cycle through the all the channels but for what ever reason it would not show the Sub Woofer setting, that is what I use the most. As for MCACC vs Audessy, I used them both and both did a great job of setting the system up, no need for SPL Meter. Audessy may have had a slight edge, but not that much, plus I like the Pioneers ability to save different set up positions in memory for different seating positions. As said before, both Denon & Pioneer Elite Recievers are great, but this time the Pioneer suites my needs better, plus the Denon 4310 that I had kept loosing the HDMI connection, that was the deal breaker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts