AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get your opinions on the Denon 4311ci vs. the new Onkyo 5009. I really just wanted to hear your opinions on the two. Id like to hear you sorta compare them out loud so that I can sorta study your opinion if that makes any sense.


I really appreciate your replies.


Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
308 Posts
Considering how poor Onkyo's quality control has been the last couple years, the Denon is a better option. This is just my opinion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 /forum/post/0


Considering how poor Onkyo's quality control has been the last couple years, the Denon is a better option. This is just my opinion though.

Got 5 Onkyo's never one problem yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 /forum/post/20876113


Got 5 Onkyo's never one problem yet.

You are indeed one of the lucky one's. I believe that the older models from Onkyo were some of the best made, that would be their pre HDMI models. Too many problems, reliability issues, heat, and the most pathetic customer service I've ever used. I realized that every CE makes a bad product line every once in a while. But I don't recall anyone making one as bad as the Onkyo's models from the X05 series to the X08/X008's. I'll withhold judgement on the X09's till they are in use for while. Hopefully these will be the turnaround for Onkyo. JMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if you hear a difference in sound between the onkyo 5008 and the denon4311ci? What all is considered "better"on the 5008 over the 4311? anything at all?
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,560 Posts
Differences between AVRs in terms of sound quality are subjective. You won't hear much if any differences.


Buy the Denon if you like reliability - Onkyo is having some problems in that regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have to agree with the Onkyo quality control function. I am 62 years old, long time audio nut, have owned many many processors, receivers etc.. Never had a factory problem until I purchased the Onkyo 5008. After doing the firmware update etc. after purchase I got the scrolling audio format/front panel button problem. Had it repaired then analog outputs died! Back to repair facility where it now resides. Very frustrating. Had a Denon 4806 that worked flawlessly for 4-5 years. I really like the Onkyo sound as a processor through Krell 250a/3 but I can't go on with one more problem. Then I call Onkyo and want an upgrade to 5009 or refund!! Good luck on that right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
The 5009 has a better amp section which is very important if you are not using separates. I have an 809 with no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahkure /forum/post/21017543


The 5009 has a better amp section which is very important if you are not using separates. I have an 809 with no problems.

The difference in power between the 4311 and 5009 would not be enough to be considered important. If the 4311 doesn't have enough power for you, changes are the 5009 wont either. An extra 20 watts per channel does not mean much in terms of real world usage. Features and reliability should be the deciding factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
I have the 805 and it's been flawless and love the sound, I do use an external amp. I want to upgrade and the 3009 seemed to have all that I wanted but with all the complaints on recent Onkyo's compared to other brands, I'm very hesitant.


I'm considering the Integra version of this since it seems fewer failures reported, but this could only be because these are only B&M available and fewer in the market place , with a bit of price premium over the Onkyo's, but if the customer service and warranty is better it may well be worth it. Anyone have any opinion on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,684 Posts
I've been lucky with Onkyo as well. I have had three the 805, 885 and the 886 without a single issue. Although I was moving a few things around in my rack today and thought there was a electrical burning smell in the area of my 886
. I though oh no its my time now but it wasn't anything I could find. But I wouldn't blame anyone from staying away from Onkyo AVR/prepros after reading about a number of recent failures.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy /forum/post/0


I have the 805 and it's been flawless and love the sound, I do use an external amp. I want to upgrade and the 3009 seemed to have all that I wanted but with all the complaints on recent Onkyo's compared to other brands, I'm very hesitant.


I'm considering the Integra version of this since it seems fewer failures reported, but this could only be because these are only B&M available and fewer in the market place , with a bit of price premium over the Onkyo's, but if the customer service and warranty is better it may well be worth it. Anyone have any opinion on this?

I always like to wait till a receiver has been out for 6 months to a year. It gives them time to work out the bugs and come out with firmware updates. Also the receiver is usually cheaper by that time. I also like to keep up with the owners thread to see what types of problems people are having. The 09 series Onkyos don't get as hot as previous models so they could be going in right direction. I would still probably wait a while before getting one but that's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 /forum/post/20877369


Does anyone know if you hear a difference in sound between the onkyo 5008 and the denon4311ci? What all is considered "better"on the 5008 over the 4311? anything at all?

I am in the same predicament denon is cheaper and has a hd receiver

the video processor in denon is the same as in oppo 95

so what is the verdict cheaper denon is better ?

Please reply

thank you

Reddy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
88,980 Posts
^^

If video upscaling quality is important to you .. note that although the Oppo 95 may have the same video processor as the 4311CI, in the Oppo it is fully functional, whereas the chip in the Denon AVRs is restricted to only basic functionality (ie. no detail settings). The 5009 with it's dual video chips is likely to perform better than the restricted ABT chip in the 4311CI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
I know, it's an old thread, but I hit it and I had to say... I have Onkyo 885, 273, and 5508, and no problems with anything, ever -- that is why the 885 is being boxed up and the 5009 is in the mail! I trust Onkyo to fix any problems IF I ever have any. If they don't, I'll do it myself and reconsider Onkyo. Until then, I'm a happy customer. Not to mention, there is no beating Audyssey XT32 - ever - because no improvements for music or HT needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21241126


^^

If video upscaling quality is important to you .. note that although the Oppo 95 may have the same video processor as the 4311CI, in the Oppo it is fully functional, whereas the chip in the Denon AVRs is restricted to only basic functionality (ie. no detail settings). The 5009 with it's dual video chips is likely to perform better than the restricted ABT chip in the 4311CI.

OPPO BDP-95 has Marvell Qdeo KG2 video processor.

AVR-4311CI has Anchor Bay's ABT2015 video processor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareakirk  /t/1356820/denon-4311ci-vs-onkyo-5009#post_21996953


I know, it's an old thread, but I hit it and I had to say... I have Onkyo 885, 273, and 5508, and no problems with anything, ever -- that is why the 885 is being boxed up and the 5009 is in the mail! I trust Onkyo to fix any problems IF I ever have any. If they don't, I'll do it myself and reconsider Onkyo. Until then, I'm a happy customer. Not to mention, there is no beating Audyssey XT32 - ever - because no improvements for music or HT needed.

I have had the same models...excluding the 273...and add the 807,875 and 905 receivers to my ownership mix as well


Excluding the 885 preamp...they have all had issues

Two of them were completely replaced by Onkyo with a newer model...the most recent being them replacing a 905 with a 5009 receiver ...it is still in my garage in the original box


They make some incredible products at some great price points


Reliability and customer service are still their Achilles heels



Warren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1  /t/1356820/denon-4311ci-vs-onkyo-5009#post_22116423


I have had the same models...excluding the 273...and add the 807,875 and 905 receivers to my ownership mix as well

Excluding the 885 preamp...they have all had issues

Two of them were completely replaced by Onkyo with a newer model...the most recent being them replacing a 905 with a 5009 receiver ...it is still in my garage in the original box

They make some incredible products at some great price points

Reliability and customer service are still their Achilles heels

Warren


You have been faithful to Onkyo - you sure have owned a lot! - but is sounds like you have not been happy. Based on my experience, my statement stands - and in some ways, you're experience gives mine more clout ("two of them were completely replaced by Onkyo with a newer model" = "I trust Onkyo to fix any problems"). Of course, if I was new to Onkyo, I'd have to weigh various experiences (which is why it's good we both offer ours). I'd be tempted to make you an offer on that 5009 in your garage, but I'm not needing more than the faithful 270, 5508, and 5009 we're using regularly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Just curious, why is the 5009 just sitting in the gargae?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top