AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the fact that the Denon is a 5 disc changer, these two units seem to be very similar to me with very similar specs. Can anyone out there tell me why there is such a difference in price? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Denon 4800 has a 4 meg buffer for layer changes and startup. The buffer also ensures against audio drop-outs; this can happen with the RP-91. It has Burr Brown DACs for better audio. It has a dampenend transport tray for smoother spin and less vibration. It is built like a tank.

One other point, this Denon is one of the few players that offers some base management of the DVD-A bitstream.

The big question is.....can we mod it for SDI?? Is the video quality comparable to the RP-91??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bump for more responses

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. So I gather the main differrence so far lies in audio quality, which I guess was to be expected. Does anyone know if the Denon has the scaling features of the RP91?

·
Registered
236 Posts
It definitely has the scaling feature that the 91 has...but I have encountered problems with no less than 6 players so far. There are picture dropouts every so often that are very annoying.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than the dropout problem (which is certainly a major flaw), how would you compare these two units?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Very similar-better audio on the Denon. Buffer change is not a big deal so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Michael, I have not noticed any dropout yet. But I have only had the unit 1 day. Where did you notice the drop outs? Audio wise it is on the level of my 3700, but better and the DVD-A is great! Need a few more titles!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just purchased the 4800 yesterday. I and my wife noticed a very significant improvement on CDs relative to my Panny RV-80 and Marantz CD player. I have a DC-2 Lex and Sunfire Cinema Grand amp.

I have not had a chance to preview DVDs or calibrate the unit but I was able to put up the AVIA resolution pattern last night. The resolution is better than my RV-80.

Since I will be hooking the Denon up to my Rock+ scaler I will only be running the unit in interlaced mode. Hence, I do not expect to see the dropouts (blinking) that Michael and others have noted.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Michael, do you see the dropouts on a particular type ofimage, or a particular setting, or interlaced, or progressive, or all the time on all sources??

Thx,

- Cain

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thx Rags for the links and the explanation of the instances where some folks are having problems.

Can I assume that if you are using a 16:9 display you will not experience this blinking problem, since it appears with 4:3 displays only??

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
236 Posts
This was happening whenever I engaged the Zoom mode on my 4800. I would use this whenever I put in a non-anamorphic DVD in my player. This is on all of my 16x9 monitors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Michael for the info. To date I have had no problem, but I do not use zoom as my Toshiba 56H80 does not lock into fullmode. Plus I only own ~ 40 DVD's :) This hobby is addicting. bought 10 in the last 6 weeks and 3 DVD-A since Tuesday :D

Hope everyone had a great turkey day!

Someone had posted that the 4800 is a rebadged pana -71. It is not. It is the 3700 with the new Burr-Brown 196K DAC's, the progressive stage, pana MPEG decoder, pana transport and Denon moded genisis deinterlacer. What denon did to the deinterlacer is probaly nothing, but maketing dudes will say they waved their magic wand to inprove the process. :rolleyes: The front of the unit is the exact same as the 3700. I have a 3700.

I still digging on this.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Actually Denon seems to be made by Panasonic. Menus look exactly like Panasonic players. Panasonic was going to have a progressive changer of their own but it was canceled suddenly just about the time Denon came out. They said that they had a shortage of components.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I talked at lenght to my dealer and others I know that handle Denon. We all feel it is the 3700 upgraded. With the upgraded DAC's (192k) and 12bit/54mhz Progressive added. Outside and case are identical to my 3700, which is interlaced. I opened the case and a lot of chips say Denon on them and I say 2 panasonic. Was not brave enough to remove the main board completely for inspection on a machine that I have had for a short time. This showed up not long after the 2800 started having problems. JMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.