AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I switch inputs or turn off the 4800.....it is making my subwoofer pop. It will only do it the first time you switch inputs.....after that it doesn't seem to do it until you turn off the unit.

Does anyone's 4800 do this, or is mine due for a service call? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? What some possible cures could be?

I was thinking about installing a Monster Power SW200 that protects the subs power supply, and the rca inputs.....it would put filters on them and maybe stop this from happening.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Myram,

I've got the 4800 and do not have the problem you describe. The subwoofer (a Def Tech PF15) is across the room, and not protected at this time.

I do use SW200s in my downstairs theater with a couple of the subs without issue, but I'm using them more as preventative rather than to solve an issue.

Wish I could be more helpful!

There is a dedicated AVR-4800 q&a board (but it doesn't get the kind of traffic the 5800 section does) - I'm the moderator. Might want to try posting there as well if you don't get responses here. The board seems to be down at the moment.

http://pub7.ezboard.com/baussiedvdandhtforum

·
Registered
271 Posts
I also have a 4800 and do not experience the issue. The way you explain it almost sounds like a static charge builds up while the unit is off and discharges when the input is switched, since its not every time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after posting this question all over the BB's I read, I finally came upon the answer. All Denon receivers seem to be at risk of this happening to it. There is a muting circuit that is supposed to mute the sub output when inputs are swiched. This circuit seems to be prone to breaking in the first 2-3 months of life. Lucky for me I am still under the 2 year warranty, and I also have a 5 year full service plan on it.

But at the sametime , I have been told that some "high-end" companies don't install these muting circuits at all because they feel that it takes away from the sound quality. They tell their customers that the "thump" is normal and to just live with it.

So for now I am going to live with it, until next year when I bring in the receiver for it's yearly tune-up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cool, Im glad you figured it out for the rest of us! Sounds accurate to me, so is this a relay or something digital? How does it come into effect when using the 8 channel inputs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.