AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am new to the game of home theatre and have a quick question.

I have a Denon 4802 Receiver and was wondering what the best mode to view DVD's is? I have the choice between THX, Direct, Dolby, Pure Direct and DTS. Currently it is set to THX for all DVD's, however, most DVD's are not THX mastered, could I be getting better sound quality out of another one of the settings on a Dolby 5.1 Surround Track?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You don't really use the receiver to choose you use the DVD to decide. Most DVD's have a DD 5.1 sound track. Less than most (much less) have a DTS sound track as well or only DTS. Much fewer than that have the DD EX and DTS EX (or the 6.1, 7.1 variants). Usually you set the reciever to "auto" so that it will detect the input and use the appropriate decoder. Hope this helps to sort it out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I set my receiver to Auto and it now enters THX Home Cinema each time I go into the DVD mode. However, the display says that it is a digital source and that it is in THX mode, however, it still reads Dolby Pro logic instead of Dolby Digital. Is this a bad thing, or something that I should not be worried about and how would I go about changing it?

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe you have to asign the digital inputs on the 4802. Gointo the set up menu and go to digital inputs. Select the digital input type and location you are using. Example: DVD-Coaxal 1. Also make sure you have shosen the DD or DTS track in the DVD's menu section.

I have the Denon 5700 but I believe the setup is the same on the 4802.

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help.

It was not a problem with my receiver, but my DVD player was set to PCM audio instead of Bitstream, which was preventing it from getting the pure digital signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.