AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the AVR 5700 reciever will switch high bandwidth component video, ala 480P or 1080i

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I am pretty sure the the 5700 does NOT have the bandwidth for HDTV. I am not sure if it can handle 480p. The 4800 and 5800 receivers were the first from Denon to do so.

Dino

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Denon website has the info. You want the ones with 50MHz video bandwidth. 3801 (3802?) and 5800 have it.

------------------

-- Randell

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own an 3801 and the component switching is very poor. The bandwidth is only about 20mhz or 27mhz. Maybe they upgraded the bandwidth in recent shipments. If you are looking for a component switcher, try INLINE model 3582 at INLINE.com I bought one for my sony KP61HS10 as it only has 1 HD component input. It works great. The bandwidth on the INLINE is extremely high I think 100MHZ or 1,000 MHZ. I am at work so I don't have the spec's in front of me. Any case, it works great!

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
From the owner's manual pdfs at denon.com

• Color component video terminal

Input / output level and impedance: Y (brightness) signal — 1 Vp-p, 75 ½/ohms

Cb (blue) signal — 0.7 Vp-p, 75 ½/ohms

Cr (red) signal — 0.7Vp-p, 75 ½/ohms

Frequency response http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif C ~ 50 MHz — +0, –3 dB

• Color component video terminal

Input / output level and impedance: Y (brightness) signal — 1 Vp-p, 75 Ω/ohms

PB/CB (blue) signal — 0.7 Vp-p, 75 Ω/ohms

PR/CR (red) signal — 0.7Vp-p, 75 Ω/ohms

Frequency response: DC ~ 50 MHz — +0, –3 dB

• Color component video jacks

Input / output level and impedance: Y (brightness) signal — 1 Vp-p, 75 Ω/ohms

PB/CB (blue) signal — 0.7 Vp-p, 75 Ω/ohms

PR/CR (red) signal — 0.7Vp-p, 75 Ω/ohms

Frequency response: 5 Hz ~ 27 MHz — +0, –3 dB

• Color component video jacks

Input / output level and impedance: Y (brightness) signal — 1 Vp-p, 75 ½/ohms

CB (blue) signal — 0.7 Vp-p, 75 ½/ohms

CR (red) signal — 0.7Vp-p, 75 ½/ohms

Frequency response: 5 Hz ~ 27 MHz — +0, –3 dB

It appears that the 3801/3802 recievers do not support high band component switching.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're correct; my memory was bad. I meant to say 4802 and 5800.

------------------

-- Randell

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe I have low expectations, but I have a 3801 and the component switching between my Samsung HDTV tuner and DVD are acceptable. I have a Sony 61HS10, BTW. Although I don't have a switcher, I couldn't see a discernable difference between the receiver switched signal and the direct input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jesup:
The Denon website has the info. You want the ones with 50MHz video bandwidth. 3801 (3802?) and 5800 have it.

Do you have any formal documentation regarding a AVR 3801 or AVR 3802 having a switch bandwith of +50MHz? The only hard Denon bandwidth documentation, which I have seen, is for the AVR 5800 on the Denon website. I own an AVR3801, and have heard many conflicting sources regarding the true bandwith of the AVR 3801 switch. If you have this information, I would be interested in seeing your source. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ufotofu:
Maybe I have low expectations, but I have a 3801 and the component switching between my Samsung HDTV tuner and DVD are acceptable. I have a Sony 61HS10, BTW. Although I don't have a switcher, I couldn't see a discernable difference between the receiver switched signal and the direct input.
The point made regarding viewable differences, seems to be a valid one. I have an AVR 3801, KP-XBR5710W, and SAT HD100; and I cannot notice a difference between a direct connection and through the AVR 3801 switch. I have watched 1080i and 480p broadcasts, and done this many times. I also viewed HD broadcast on similar equipment, anytime a store has it on display. I am trying to justify buying a new switcher, and would like to understand why the difference is not noticeable. Can someone explain. I have seem so much talk regarding the bandwidth of switches, and I would like to better understand. Will this issue be more noticeable as more HD content is broadcast, and more formats are being broadcast? At this point, I think I will wait until I can identify the issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1. what is the bandwidth of the Denon 5700 and what is the minimum needed for HDTV?

i'm using it to switch between my DVD Player and my HDTV STB - and my HDTV image quality is stunning (viewing on a 9ft FPTV)

2. i've heard some folks say the 5700 does not have sufficient bandwidth - what would the symptoms of insufficient bandwidth be to the image?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the 5700 also and have the same dilema with component switching. It is very irritating that a product of such haigh caliber in its day would not pass an HDTV signal correctly. I know HDTV was out when the 5700 was built so what gives? At the time the 5700 was the cream of the crop.

Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did anyone ever discover the answer to this?

I too am interested in just how you would notice insufficient bandwidth. I'm using a 5700 to switch between a DVD & STB for HDTV also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.