AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a Denon 5800 A/V receiver and (2) Linn 5140 speakers and a 5120 as center channel, will it make sense to add a Linn 5125 A/v receiver and use the Denon 5800 as pre? Can I go aktiv for all front speakers with this setup?If I added two back 5140's, can i go Aktiv with all 5 Linn speakers or have to buy an additional 5125?In the last scenario, will I need the 5800 at all?Being researching this passive-active scenarios and am quite confused by the different possibilities

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Luis D Silva
Having a Denon 5800 A/V receiver and (2) Linn 5140 speakers and a 5120 as center channel, will it make sense to add a Linn 5125 A/v receiver and use the Denon 5800 as pre?
It did to me, exception here is the amp I used where Linn's AV5105's. My experience is very limiting in this regards, when I started to add amps to my receiver it significantly improved everything, soundstage, more air between the instruments, etc. etc. I would venture to guess decent external amps should be better than internal receiver amps. just my .02$. Of course you should experience the concept to make sure you realize any benefit
Quote:
Can I go aktiv for all front speakers with this setup?
The short answer is no. You dont have enough channels. Based on what you are trying to do, the only speaker you can go aktiv would be the center channel. You need a total of 8 channels to go fully aktiv on all front speakers. 2 channels for the center AV5120 speaker and 6 channels for your L/R AV5140 speakers.
Quote:
If I added two back 5140's, can i go Aktiv with all 5 Linn speakers or have to buy an additional 5125?
Yes you could go aktiv on all Linn speaker you metioned but you need (3) Linn AV5125 multi-channel amps (and respective aktiv modules) total of 14 channels and BTW, since you would end up with an extra channel doing nothing I would aktiv tri-amp the center channel :). I have been told it makes a difference.
Quote:
In the last scenario, will I need the 5800 at all?Being researching this passive-active scenarios and am quite confused by the different possibilities
Yes as pre-amp/processor. The internal amps in a aktiv configuration are sitting iddle doing nothing.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the last scenario, using a Denon 5800 as pre and (3) 5125's as power amps to go aktiv with all 5 linn speakers, how do I connect the 5800 to all (3) 5125's. I only have 1 set of pre-outs in my 5800......or not? Still confused. Also going aktiv is the same as bi or tri-amping and can i use ( 2) 7 channel amps to get all 14 channels needed?Outlaw model 770 is a 7 channel power amp, but same question applies, how do I connect the 5800 to both 770's?This is getting so confusing that I'm having nightmares of amps and wires running after me. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 5125's have two line level in and out for each of the five channels.

Going Activ on 5140 is triamping with crossovers in the input stage of each channel of the amp.

The Linn amps take Activ cards. If you use amps from other manufacturers, you will have to use a "tunebox" from Linn. The tune box houses the Activ electronics and has 3 line outputs for treble/midrange/woofer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But if I use the 5800 as pre, how do I hookup the 5800 to the 5125's, Denon 5800preout--->line in to 1st 5125--->1st 5125 line out to ---->line in 2nd 5125? or 5800 with a Y connector to both 5125's line in? The 5800 will only be used to power the surrounds . Got it?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Luis D Silva
But if I use the 5800 as pre, how do I hookup the 5800 to the 5125's, Denon 5800preout--->line in to 1st 5125--->1st 5125 line out to ---->line in 2nd 5125? or 5800 with a Y connector to both 5125's line in? The 5800 will only be used to power the surrounds . Got it?
Linn amps have RCA inputs and outputs per channel for daisy chainning amps for bi/tri-amping applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.