AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Pioneer BDP 320 blu-ray DVD player and have connected its 7.1 analog output to my Denon 5800's Ext. In 7.1 input. I've had 2 problems that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

The first problem seems to be a design issue with the Denon that seems completely counter-intuitive. In the owner's manual, in the section that talks about playback using the Ext In jacks (i.e., the 7.1 jacks) it says (in bold font no less) "When EXT IN is selected, the input signals connected to the EL (effect left) and ER (effect right) jacks are output to the PRE OUT EFFECT/SB (left and right) jacks."

What this seems to be saying is that the rear channel signals, instead of actually being sent to the rear channel speakers, are instead sent to the Pre-Out rear channel output jacks. This makes no sense. The result is that by using the 7.1 analog connections, my rear speakers will no longer work.

Unfortunately, testing this out reinforces what is said in the manual. After hooking everything up, I used the Toy Story 2 DVD's THX Optimode feature to send a test signal to each of my speakers. When the test signal was sent to the rear speakers, the test tone was heard in the corresponding side speaker instead of the rear. As a comparison, I switched the DVD player to send its audio via the Digital Out and switched the Denon AVR so receive the digital signal via the Optical input. When I ran the test tones this time the signals sent to the rear speakers were heard in the rears as they should. (But of course, the Digital input on the Denon won't support the newer lossless audio formats.)

Why would Denon do this? Isn't one of main purposes of the 7.1 inputs to somewhat future-proof the receiver? So great, I can choose between Dolby Digital at 7.1 or Dolby TrueHD but only at 5.1.

The second problem has to do with the center channel. When I tested out the analog 7.1 connections the center channel wasn't working. I checked both ends of the connection and they were fine. Thinking it might be a problem with Ext. In 1 jacks on the Denon AVR, I switched it to the Ext. In 2 jacks (there are 2 sets on the 5800). This initially fixed the problem. But then when I moved all of the other cables from Ext 1. to Ext 2, the center stopped working. I tried using a different cable, and then my old Denon DVD player, but this had no bearing on the result. I then switched everything back to the Ext In 1 jacks and now it works fine. Weird.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18315511

What else can be said?

1. Limitation of the AVR as you discovered. It is what it is. Contact Denon to see if resolved with a firmware update.

2. Perhaps dust on the connectors, although as problem is resolved, no further action required.

I was hoping that other 5800 (or similar Denon AVR) owners that may have experienced this problem would chime in with a confirmation that I'm right that there's nothing that can be done or even better yet a solution if there is something that can be done.

(Or at least someone else to gripe about the problem with me. As they say, misery loves company.
)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have a 5800, though I only use 5 speakers, not 7. What is the upshot of all this for you? Would you need powered rear speakers for it to work, connected to the pre-out jacks?

I use a powered sub, connected to the pre-out jack.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by svburke /forum/post/18320764

I too have a 5800, though I only use 5 speakers, not 7. What is the upshot of all this for you? Would you need powered rear speakers for it to work, connected to the pre-out jacks?

I use a powered sub, connected to the pre-out jack.

Yes, it looks like one solution would be to use powered speakers for the rear. (Although I haven't actually tested the pre-out jacks to see if the signal is indeed sent there; that's what it says in the owner's manual and I do know that the signal isn't sent to the rear speaker connects.) However, since I already have rear speakers, unless I find some other solution with my existing components, I will probably replace the 5800 with a new receiver that has HDMI and processes the full gamut of the lossless audio formats.

I'm exchanging emails with Denon right now to get a better understanding of the situation. Once I have a final answer from them I will post it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To make a long story short, the 5800's 7.1 Ext. In jacks work as you would expect: they send the signals received on those jacks to the corresponding speaker terminals.

The reason for my confusion appears to be the Toy Story 2 THX Optimode test signals. For some reason, when the video shows the signal is being sent to the rear speaker, it's instead sent to the side speaker. When I used my DVD player's test tones everything worked as it should. The final test was to try a BR DVD with 7.1 audio (Gamer) and it worked as it should.

Oh, and the 2nd problem I described with the center channel speaker not working consistently seems to have gone away. Not sure why. Hopefully it will work consistently from here on out.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbooker /forum/post/18345312

The reason for my confusion appears to be the Toy Story 2 THX Optimode test signals.

What format is that? Dolby Digital (with EX?) on a DVD?

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts