AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the RS232-C port good for in the back of the receiver? Has anyone used it?It links to a computer but ??????????Thanks for viewing and pardon my ignorance .Just trying to get hold ot this videophile-audiophile mumbo jumbo, quite confussing at times.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The RS232 port on the Denon 5800 (and other high end receivers/pre-pros) is mainly meant to be used with a 3rd party control system such as Crestron or Panja. I and others have written custom control software for use with our Home Theater PCs (HTPC). For me it allows simpler control than picking up a remote and wading through the menus to achieve what I want.

Basically it allows for more complex macros to be programmed, with greater flexibility than most standard remotes allow. The newer generation remotes like the Pronto and HomeTheaterMaster line are also capable of allowing complex macros (multiple functions at the press of one button). For me, I already had the HTPC in the living room, so it was just a matter of the right software to use it. I personally find the included Aktis remote much too troublesome to use, and limited in its programmability.

As for the Denon RS232 port, there was also some indication in the initial sales literature that it could be used to allow for future upgrades to the receiver. In reality, this never materialized and instead Denon chose to offer a much pricier hardware upgrade for the 5800. Personally, I still wish that they would offer a software only upgrade that adds just Dolby ProLogic II, but alas, that will likely never happen.

If you do some searches on this and other forums, I'm sure you'll come across lots of discussions about the intended uses for a RS232 port on today's AV equipment. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'm sure myself or someone else here will be glad to try and answer them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.