AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. Really I am, but I just read through 253 pages of posts on the BD55 thread, and the thought of another 95 pages in this thread is just too much. So I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but, please:

Got my BD55 going 7.1 analog into the 5803, using EXT-1. If I'm playing a disk that actually generates 7.1 output from the BD55, how do I set the 5803 to actually play all 7.1 channels? Do I set EXT-1 to DSP, and back channel to SBL/SBR? Or to Direct? And what mode? THX 6.1, Widescreen, THX Ultra2 Cinema? I'd like to take advantage of the delay, LFE, and audio sync DSP features, but I just can't figure out what the various modes are doing to the 7.1 signal (ie, ignoring the rear channel, matrixing it, or whatever)?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I believe your Denon's two sets of 8 channel analog inputs provide full DSP (bass management and A/D conversion). Not sure of the exact name Denon calls it but look for a setting called DSP-Analog or something to that effect. This means the Denon will do all the proper speaker distances and speaker sizes and not the Panny. You just have to tell the Denon how many speakers you have hooked up. If you use Direct you will be bypassing the Denon settings and will have to do the set up in the Panny BD55 menu. It's much easier to do it in the Denon.

My Anthem AVM 30 also does bass management for the analog inputs. I set it to Analog DSP and the new sound formats sound absolutely fantastic.

Finally make sure you set the BD55 to turn off "secondary audio". Turn your Denon to the EXT-1 input, and put it on DSP mode and your good to go. Enjoy Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA in full blown glory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Fuzzybk. What is confusing me is what the Denon is doing with the back channel in DSP mode when 7.1 analog is going into EXT-1, and in the EXT-1 setup, SBL/SBR is selected for back channel rather than back channel "not present".

Back when I had a BD player going 5.1 analog into EXT-1, I would select "not present" for the rear channel, and the Denon would happily matrix it from the side signals, the best modes being "THXsurroundEX" and "THX Ultra2 Cinema". But now, with 7.1 into the EXT, I'm telling the Denon the back channel IS present (ie, selecting SBL/SBR). The only DSP surround modes that show up now are THX 5.1 and THX 6.1. Maybe all this is irrelevant, and the Denon will pass through the back channel regardless of the DSP mode selected, but I'm looking for a DSP selection that I can be confident is passing through the actual back channel signal from the BD55 and not something that the Denon is creating or matrixing on its own!

I do have the BD55 set correctly, ie, speakers set to large and secondary audio off, and I'm using program material that the Panny will actually decode into 7.1, like DTS-ES MA, etc.

Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/15524913

Morser, why don't you have the BD55 connected to the Denon via HDMI?

Because the 5803 does not have HDMI.

Ed

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
my avr-4800 has 7.1 channel analog inputs as well. Do I not have to set speaker distances and delay in the bd55?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx /forum/post/15640652

my avr-4800 has 7.1 channel analog inputs as well. Do I not have to set speaker distances and delay in the bd55?

You want to do it only in one place, either the player or the receiver. Same is true for bass management. I know the 580x can do it, not sure whether the 4800 can. Most players have unacceptable bass management (including the 55 I think) and so the receiver is the preferred place if you can. Also, speaker distance and delay are the same thing.

Ed

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/15641892

You want to do it only in one place, either the player or the receiver. Same is true for bass management. I know the 580x can do it, not sure whether the 4800 can. Most players have unacceptable bass management (including the 55 I think) and so the receiver is the preferred place if you can. Also, speaker distance and delay are the same thing.

Ed

well I am not sure eiterh so I did some testing. I changed my rear speakers from small to large and ran an avia 200hz to 20hz sweep tone, sure enough on the small speaker setting on the BD55 the bass was not redirected to my mains.

Since on my avr-4800 I have front speakers as large and rear ones as small this would indicate that the avr-4800 does not handle bass management from the analog inputs.

So if thats the case wouldn't it be unlikely that the avr-4800 would apply speaker delays to the external inputs?

Right now I have my speaker delays and speaker sizes set on the BD-55. The denon ONLY balances the volume for all the channels coming in on the 7 channel external input.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx /forum/post/15646205

well I am not sure eiterh so I did some testing. I changed my rear speakers from small to large and ran an avia 200hz to 20hz sweep tone, sure enough on the small speaker setting on the BD55 the bass was not redirected to my mains.

If you have a subwoofer then the BM would have redirected to the sub and not the fronts. But without a subwoofer and large fronts then, yes, the redirection is to the fronts.

I'm not surprised that the 4800 does not digitize and process the 7.1 analog in. That extra processing power is part of what you pay for in the 580x.
Quote:
So if thats the case wouldn't it be unlikely that the avr-4800 would apply speaker delays to the external inputs?

Yes, I agree. It would need to digitize and process the input.
Quote:
Right now I have my speaker delays and speaker sizes set on the BD-55. The denon ONLY balances the volume for all the channels coming in on the 7 channel external input.

The volume adjustments can be done in the analog domain, so that makes sense. So what about the BM? Isn't the Xover on the BD55 someting like 100 or 120 Hz? And who knows what slopes they're using? Isn't that a problem?

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a test DVD that allows for selectable 7.1 channel output? Meaning, that I could select and output just the rear left and right channels to see what the heck the 5803 is doing with its DSP modes?

As I said at the start of this thread, I'm going 7.1 analog from a BD55 into the 5803, and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the EXT-1 input. If I select DSP mode (as I think I should, so that I can take advantage of the 5803's signal processing), I can't figure out what the available surround modes are doing.

When I play a disc that I know is providing 7.1 channels from the BD55 (eg., one with DTS-HD), selecting THX Ultra2 Cinima, for example, leaves out the back channel completely. THX 6.1 plays the back channel, but I cant tell if it's really the rear channels from the BD55 or a matrix that the 5803 is creating from the sides.

I've taken to setting EXT-1 to Multi-channel Direct instead of DSP, which I think is now passing through the whole 7.1 array, but I don't believe that input mode enables the delay and LFE management that DSP provides.

If there is no such test DVD, I guess the next best thing would be to turn off all the BD55 speaker outputs except the rears, and see what happens when playing a regular disc with DTS-HD.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morser /forum/post/15658693

I'm going 7.1 analog from a BD55 into the 5803, and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the EXT-1 input. If I select DSP mode (as I think I should, so that I can take advantage of the 5803's signal processing), I can't figure out what the available surround modes are doing.

I believe when you set up the EXT. IN for DSP, it treats the analog inputs the same as PCM sources. The DSPs should work the same as they do with a digital input.

If you want to see what a DSP does to the sound, I suggest that you first configure the EXT IN for analog, which will simply pass through whatever the BD55 is sending. Then, change the configuration to DSP, apply the mode you want to test, and see what changes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts