AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading various threads It would be great to know who is having problems maintaining the DVI connection on the Denon DVD 5900? In order to have the information be useful to Denon I believe that the following need to be answered:

1)Do you experience a problem with maintaining the DVI connection to your monitor after switching inputs on your monitor/tv/projector?

If you answered yes to question 1, please answer the subsequent 2 questions.

2) What type of monitor/tv/pj do you have?

3) Do you have the 5900 connected to your monitor via DVI only?

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I have a Hitachi 57SWX20B and don't have any problems when I switch inputs. It always stays locked on DVI.

Dave

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Yes, my connections have that problem

I have a DVI connection from the Denon 5900 to my Sony HS20. I must have my HS20 input selected for DVI first, then "dial in" my Denon. If I swtich input choices on my HS20, I have to re-dial in.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was posted in the >3500 dollar forum regarding the dwin tv3+-Thanks to George

We recently setup a clients TV3+ and Denon DVD-5900. It works fine over DVI when in 720p.His DVD-5900 came with the DVI already enabled.

You do have to select the proper DVI input on the Dwin first, then on the front panel of the DVD-5900 use the MODE button to select the DVI settings and then scroll to 720p using the SELECT button. Then, when 720p is on the display, push in the SELECT button to activate it.

It takes a few seconds for the switch to complete and for the image to appear on the screen.

Works and looks great but you do have to repeat this each time you startup the pojector and select the DVI input. The Denon will not "auto negotiate" after switching Dwin inputs.

We cannot automate this for the client so we programmed his system to use the component inputs instead.

That is how it works for us. PQ is still excellent over the component inputs.

George

I responded as follows

because of the problem you describe I am going to try this product from Gefen
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1819

They have a 30 day money back guarantee. Just risking the chance of shipping. I spoke with a tech a gefen and he stated that as an HDCP licensee they have a "hdcp repeater chipset" in this device, that may let the player continually see and HDCP compliant device on the other end, plus it will allow one additional input for the customer.

I started a thread in the DVD player forum to ascertain if this problem with the 5900 occurs with all monitors, but the response was small. I will cross post your information about the dwin and the DVD 5900 in that forum.

We'll see.

·
Registered
930 Posts
DOn,

That reprinted account of the TV3 with the 5900, I have experienced the exact same thing with my TV3 and 5900

FREAK!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kris,

thanks for the feedback. May we assume that the firmware release you have is not ready for prime time. Any word on when they will release the fix to Denon dealers/customers.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Kris, I'm not sure if you can assume this but do you think it would fix it for the Marantz S2 as well?

Also, does the display need to be 'on' or can it be turned off and then turned on later? I would hate to waste buld hours when listening to music and I dont need the PJ.

John

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
I have gotten firware from Denon that fixes this issue for both the TV3 and HS-20. But it isn't firware meant to fix it, it was a side effect. I am going to let them know about it so that a fix can be incorporated in the next firmware update.
I have been looking for the right place to ask this question. I think this is it since Kris is occasionaly looking in here.

There are several threads in this forum with 5900 owners talking about the video problems and hoping to get a software fix at some point.

My question is, why do people continue to buy some thing that is defective knowing that it is going to have problems while there are other options out there like the 1600 for less money and high recommendation?

Sure the 5900 is supposed to be better, when it works but the movies that have been listed with the macroblocking are favorites of mine and I just cannot understand keeping a player with known problems for 6 times the cost of the 1600.

I would consider buying the 5900 for it's audio capabilities but if the video does all that is rumored why bother.

Kris when is a review coming out for the 2200?

:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts
The 2200 will be covered in the benchmark but I am not going to do a standalone review.

People that are looking at the 5900 are taking into account more then the picture over the 1600. Better audio and analog stage, a lot more features. The issues with the player are a simple fix and will be addressed very shortly.

The firmware I have is not available to the public and never will be. But the part that fixes the DVI lock will hopefully be included with the upcoming firmware. I have told Denon about it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I would buy the 5900 again even given the known issues for the following reasons.

1. It is a universal player. The 1600 only plays DVD audio.

2. Upsampled video to 720p and 1080i through DVI.

3. DVI connection. 100% digital path to native 720 and 1080 digital displays.

4. The macroblocking issue has been idetified as a setting and not a 'defect.' Most feel comfortable that this can be easily fixed in firmware. Also, a lot of people have shown that other players exhibit this behavior even worse than the 5900.

5. The video on the 5900 is better than the 1600.

6. The audio on the 5900 should not even be compared to the 1600, its not even close. The 5900 blows it away.

7. It is the best universal player available anywhere near this price imo.

John

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Kris, not sure I understand the part about your firmware never being available to the public? DOes it unlock region codes as well as offer fixes? Hopefully all the items in your firmware that fix issues WILL be available to the public?

John

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
When people say the audio from the 5900 is great, it´s only the SACD, DVD-AUDIO and CD... there is hardly any difference in DTS or DD movie soundtracks from player to player are there? And even if one were to use a jitterless Denon link... would there be an audible difference in DTS/DD?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Keyser,

Yes, it is DVDA and SACD that people are talking about. DD5.1 and DTS5.1 are usually a function of the processor/receiver that it is coupled with as most people do not use the internal DD/DTS decoders in the players. I have owned the DVD-1600, DVD-2900 and now the 5900. The 1600 sounds good but I used my AVM20s 5.1 inputs to redigitize it for BM then convert to analog again. The AVM20s AtoDtoA pathway sounds better than the 1600 DACS. Same holds true fo rthe 2900 thou the 2900 did sound better than the 1600. The 5900 is the only of the three that outperforms the AVM20 as I am not using its AtoDtoA conversion for BM but analog-direct. The 5900 has a wonderful sound and tremendous tweakability.

By the way, someone did do a review of the 2200 on another forum.I am not up to date on this forums policies about directing threads to other forums but I am sure you could find the right spot if you know what I mean.

FREAK!

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Expletive
Kris, not sure I understand the part about your firmware never being available to the public? DOes it unlock region codes as well as offer fixes? Hopefully all the items in your firmware that fix issues WILL be available to the public?

John
The firmware I have is not meant to be a fix for the player. But what it did also for some odd reason fixed the handshake problem. I told Denon about the result and said this should be incorporated into the upcoming firmware.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Kris, that would be really great news if the handshake issue was resolved. Like I said, I would hate to have the PJ on when enjoying SACD or other non-video material.

I can't thank you enough for all the time youve put into helping Denon improve this player.

Depending on this upcoming firmware, Denon has a potentially caveat free recommendation from most owners on this forum. At this pricerange I feel its without peer.

John

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just received a 5900 and am coupling it with a Dwin TV3+. I have not seen the problem you describe at all. It appears that Dwin has already incorporated the fix for their handshaking problem into the current production runs.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ranger,

one other thing to consider is that the current production run of DVD 5900s from denon fixed the problem on the player, as I have not seen the problem described with 2 other dvd players with DVI output capability.

I am happy for you that this works, and I think many owners of the TV3/3+ will be happy as well. Food for thought: an installer just finished a job with Denon 5900 and TV3+ and he found the problem previously cited (the Denon player failed to maintain DVI out when the projectors input was switched away from the DVI in on the TV3).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kris (or anyone else),

If anyone gets word that Denon will release a firmware update to solve the handshake problem, please post that word on this string so that those of us subscribed to this thread will learn.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.