AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denon 5900 for DVD-A using Proceed AVP2

538 views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  sasabune 
If I may, a little correction: HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, not the other way around :) HDMI is a newer interface. Yes HDMI carries audio, but DVI does not, so when someone talks about DVI and HDMI interoperability they only refer to video.

Does Proceed AVP2 have either 5.1 analog (RCA) inputs or iLink interface? If neither, then yes, you are hosed. You need either of those interfaces to get DVD-A or SACD signal to your pre/pro. Digital coax or optical TOSLINK would not work for DVD-A or SACD.

Yes, good idea, Larry! Indeed, sasabune, you can do it. Every single SACD disc has a DSD stereo track, and I believe DVD-A tracks can be downmixed to stereo as well (although I have not tried it so far). But in the very least you can listen to stereo SACDs this way.

You are right, Sasabune. SACD discs come in a few flavors:

1) SACD Stereo - this is one layer stereo (DSD) only disc, usually the sticker on the cover says it can be played on SACD players only.

2) SACD Multi-channel/Stereo - this is a one layer 5.1 multi-channels and stereo (both DSD) disc - also usually says can be played on SACD players only.

3) Hybrid SACD disc - this is a two layer disc. One contains a regular CD stereo tracks (not DSD, but Redbook CD). The second layer contains either just stereo or both stereo and multi-channel SACD (DSD) tracks. These SACD discs usually have a sticker that says they can be played on SACD and CD players. Actually they can be player anywhere (DVD-ROM, DVD Player, walkman, in the car. The difference is that when you play it in the SACD player you can access both layers and can chose which track to play, whereas in all other players you can only listen to the regular CD layer.

The important thing is that no matter what kind of SACD disc is, it always contains stereo DSD tracks.

All you have to do is to go to your player's SACD setup menu and make sure that SACD Stereo playback is selected as default. Then whenever you insert any kind of SACD disc, the player automatically will read the stereo DSD track.

Quote:
Originally posted by sasabune
TauRus: thanks for the very clear explanation. At least I can get some hi rez audio in stereo.

I was reading on another thread ("is the 5900 stillthe player to beat," or something like that), that the 5900 has a firewire output. Can that transmit the multi-channel hi rez SACD/DVD music, or am I still hosed? Apparently the firewire wasn't originally working, but there's a fix that activated it. I'll look into it more if it will do the trick. Thanks again for your insight and patience.
You are welcome! :) As for the FireWire, yes it can transmit DVD-A/SACD multichannel tracks, but I thought we already covered that issue in this thread above: iLink and FireWire are the same thing.

Actually, for the sake of accuracy, we only need to call this interface iLink when it comes to Home THeater equipment/electronics. Apple Computer invented this interface a while ago for connecting different computer periferals. They call it FireWire. Sony licensed this technology later and called it iLink. Initially, they also used it on computers only. Then, Sony modiifed some protocols in the iLink interface to make it more suitable for electronics. So, strictly speaking, we should not call that interface FireWire - that term is applicable for computer world only.

And, as you confirmed above, there is no iLink interface on your AVP2, so call it iLInk or FireWire, you seem to be out of luck. Sorry. Perhaps, its time to upgrade? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.