AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it reasonably possible to modify the 5900 to SDI? I emailed Immersive last nite and awaiting a reply (will post response if anyone's interested) If it would fly, has anyone done the procedure? (Just a crazy afterthought)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot more info has been posted regarding modding this player since I originally started this , the procedure has been done successfully by one individual I found, with good results. I have also been told and read on posts the decoder is acually a strong candidate, (plus I am selling myself.) I'm only to revive the thread because new info has been discussed since this thread was started and the procedure is being done successfully.JVB will now do the mod for $600, where before neither JVB or Immersive would do it. I want everybody's input. The player is 3 1/2 mos old. Would you risk it? Feel it's a good candidate? What are the negatives and potential issues? We know the positives. Anyone else have it done? Looking for Good, Bad & even Ugly stories. What's the worst? I'm out 2K. The best? Perfectly processed video and full benefit of Superbit too. Will this decoder produce to exceptional levels or will it be , well, I kinda see the difference....I think.

Thanks all, Luke

Kris- The attemt to revitalize this conversation is in no way shape or form meant to dismiss your comment. Your opinions are of the utmost and highest regarded statements made in this forum and are based strictly on fact, everyone knows that, I am just probing to see if additional or new information has developed over the last 45 days, that's all. Luke

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I only see two possible benefits to an SDI mod of this player:

#1 You have a non-HDCP compatible processor/display and can't use the DVI output due to the HDCP signal.

#2 You have a much better deinterlacer and scaler and in order to use them you need a 480i digital output.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
How will the PQ differ from a bad MPEG decoder and a good one(given that neither has CUE)?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the HD Leeza for processing and I don't have any HDCP compliant issues with DVI but I would believe that the Leeza would do a better job processing than the 5900. I have both DVI and Component connected now to switch back and forth (via 8x3 Matrix Switcher) and if I can get better PQ via SDI well I'm in................Plus I have read the only way to really fully benefit from Superbit is through SDI.

Luke

As far as poor PQ quality differences due to the decoder, if Mr. Deering states that's the case, you can be rest assured, that's the case.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Hai,

Several places allready sell 2900's with a added sdi...

Daniel.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keyser
How will the PQ differ from a bad MPEG decoder and a good one(given that neither has CUE)?
The 5900 has CUE with 2-2 sources. All MPEG decoders do. But the Faroudja masks it. That is why only Faroudja players pass this test in the shootout.

The ESS chip would probably do fine via SDI, I just think that there are other options out there for a lot less money that would do just as well if not a bit better. But they wouldn't have the audio section, and that may be important to you.

I actually think a player like the Bravo D1 would be a great option as the Sigma chip is a superb MPEG decoder.

As for the Leeza doing a better job, probably in respect to flexibility in scaling and custom resolutions, but I don't think it will best the 5900 in de-interlacing.

Also, I don't understand the comment about Superbit DVDs requireing a SDI output to achieve their upmost potential. Can you tell me where you got this info?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Kris,

"The 5900 has CUE with 2-2 sources. All MPEG decoders do",

PAL is mostly encoded with 2-2 pulldown. Does that mean that all players suffer from CUE with PAL, but some mask it with the Faroudja?

Again I ask... what would the specific difference in PQ be with a good and inferiour MPEG decoder be. Would the image with the inferiour decoder have more artifacts... softer... ?

Hopefully Denon will release a DVD player in a similar class to the 3805 reciever with a Sigma chip. But having said that, they probably will use something that plays DVD-A and SACD, since the 3805 has the Denon link.

I´d love to see them release a player built for PQ, for someone who doesn´t listen to SACD or DVD-A at all(like me), for a little cheaper than the 5900.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
The differences in MPEG decoders would be synching with subtitles, and rounding errors in the MPEG stream. If the math isn't done well, you will get noticeable artifacts that look similar to blocking.

Keyser,

I think Denon may have some players that fit your bill later this year.

Thanks Luke!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Luke,

What they are referring to is roll-off in high frequencies as a result of poor D to A conversion. We test the response of a player with an O-Scope and the 5900 is excellent in this regard, so you won't have any issues there.

But there are players that have significant roll off in higher frequencies such as most of the sigma based players. They counter this with the DVI out for the most part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.