AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a $100 difference between the two? I think both use Faroudja processing, so will the upconversion be about the same? I think the Oppo can send SACD/DVD-A out the HDMI and the Denon can not. Is that about the only difference?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by criagD /forum/post/17028473

Is there a $100 difference between the two? I think both use Faroudja processing, so will the upconversion be about the same? I think the Oppo can send SACD/DVD-A out the HDMI and the Denon can not. Is that about the only difference?

"Denon 758/1940 vs. Oppo 980"

I have an OPPO 981 (used extensively), and have given away a 980 unit as a gift, so I have some limited experience with that too.

The better deal is a roughly 80% off closeout DVD Denon unit; either a Denon 1940ci (which I own) $80.53 closeout + Free Shipping thru amazon

Or a closeout Denon 2930ci (which I also own) $199.88 + Free Shipping

I suggest you buy one or the other through www.amazon.com . Go there and search on: denon sacd player

FWIW I have nothing to do with amazon, but think that if there is any issue with a unit that you get using them (as primary with a secondary company) it is very very easy to deal with, whereas I don't have much trust in dealing directly with these secondary companies.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Just picked up a Denon-refurbed 758 at uBid.com for less than $45 shipped. They are unloading lots of 50 daily. I didn't really need it as I already have a 980, but it was a good deal at that price. If it did SACD over HDMI I would probably replace the 980 with it (don't want to lose Audyssey because of using analog inputs). I will probably just replace an older non-HDMI player in one of my secondary systems with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.