AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of parts pretending to be a home theater system - Digi Cable, Wii, DVD, Apple TV connected via 100 wires to a 50" 720 Panasonic and a Yamaha Sound Projector 1000 with external subwoof.

My main problem is setting all the different devices and input/outputs to work properly (my Harmony programming is iffy at best). I am trying to tame this mess without going broke.

I'm wondering how the Denon's gonna work with the Yama (I figure to go optical audio from 790 to the Yamaha sound projector). Is the Adussy audio thing going to fight the Yamaha's surround sound processing? Do i turn one (or the other) off? Any idea?

I've not yet purchased, but I'm pretty close on the 790, unless you say "wait - this is gonna suck on the Yamaha"...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Near as I can tell, you are making assumptions about how the 790s digital output will work. I looked through the manual and found no helpful information. There was some cryptic comment on not hooking any component connected to the optical output to anything other than the optical 2 input.

In the Yamaha RX-Z7 thread, they clarify that the digital output for that receiver only outputs ANALOG audio converted to digital!

So you have to ensure the 790 does what I think you want - outputting all digital signals input to it. My guess is that no HDMI audio will be output to the optical out jack. Maybe coax/optical audio will, but I would not assume that.

Nor am I sure how to find out. Maybe Denon has an email address where you can ask questions like 'how does your optical output jack work? What inputs signals appear on the output jack?'

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
It won't work! Don't add the Denon to the mix! Many digital outs won't output bistream so you'll only get stereo. Plus many won't send out the signal from HDMI. You'll have to run separate audio cables to the YSP-1000 and the video cables to the TV. The Harmony should be able to control it all.

for the YSP-1000 Connect:

DVD player to DVD digital coaxial input

Cable Box to STB optical input

Apple TV to AUX optical input

Wii to VCR to stereo analog input

If your DVD does not have a digital coax then switch its connection with the cable box and rename the inputs in the menu.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. Not what i had hoped for, but better than buying and being disappointed.

I DO have all the ins and outs mapped today - but it is a mess with the Harmony (for example, for Wii I'm short inputs on the Yamaha SP, so i have to MUTE the YSP and UNMUTE the Panasonic, set input to video 2 and volume to 12 on the Panasonic - and then undo this when i switch back to TV. This fails about 75% of the time, I have HOURs of programming efforts into the Harmony - despite being a very technical guy). I was hoping to leave teh Panasonic and YSP alone (fixed inputs) and just tell the Denon to change inputs via the Harmony.

I thought the Denon outputs (HDMI and Optical Audio) were assignable? Can't I assign all audio outs from all input sources (including those carried in HDMI) to the optical output on the Denon TO the YSP? The YSP takes optical from my Apple TV just fine today (why wouldn't it do so from the Denon).

Could I use HDMI for only video, and carry all input audio thru R/L except the Apple TV and DVD (both have optical outs)? I assume the "assignable" mode on the Denon makes this possible (though not easy, from what I've read of the manuals).

I'm not against buy and try - but don't want to go down that path if there is no hope of it working.

Thanks again for the terrific info on this site and your helpful posts.

Zip

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
No the optical out of the Denon (and most receivers) does not work the way you think. MOST are designed for PCM stereo output. Kind of a left over for people with MD recorders. VERY few will even pass through a 5.1 signal from optical or coax and even fewer (if any) will strip the audio from HDMI.

You should have enough audio inputs on the YSP. Do you have enough video inputs on the Panny? Are you trying to use the Panny's built in speakers sometimes? I wouldn't try using the YSP for the video inputs. I'd run separate video cables to the Panny. You might consider and HDMI switcher if you need more HDMI inputs.

The Harmony should be able to do that easily but you'll probably have to program it from scratch.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts