AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a SA 4250HD cable box. I connected it to my Denon via hdmi. I am with Videotron in Montreal if that makes any difference.

Previously, I had a SD cable box connected via s-video and set the Denon to output all video to the tv as 16:9. Now, with the new HD box, and having not changed that setting; the SD channels (broadcast in 4:3) are being output as 4:3. Very not cool!

Is this a limitation of the Denon and the hdmi connection? Would I get the widescreen stretch back if I connect the HD cable box via component? If so, what would happen to the HD channels broadcast as 16:9?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You want it streteched? I have no idea.

What is occuring here is that your cable box is letter boxing the content properly, the AVR has no control at that point. Component won't help either.

Not real familure with the Denon is question here. That is truly an odd ball feature to have, or even want.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I want the source (cable feed) to get stretched from it's original 4:3 format to 16:9, to fill the tv. That's how it was before, and the Denon has a setting that does just that; but it no longer works.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Like JOHNnDENVER said you have your cable box set up so it adds the pillar boxes to the signal before it sends it out over HDMI. You need to set it to send the 4:3 signal unmodified.

Why would you want to stretch anyway, I hate how that looks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts