AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently upgraded to the Denon 889 from a 5-year-old Yamaha (non-HDMI). I really enjoyed the sound on my old Yamaha, but the 889 certainly sounds better via HDMI. In the next few days, I have the opportunity to return the Denon 889 and pick-up the Yamaha 6190 for a bit more money. My question is will this be a big upgrade? Is there a big difference between the 2 receivers?

I will use the receiver for mainly watching Satellite TV on my Panasonic TH58PZ700, (HD & SD - 80% of the time), Blu-Ray's (10%), DVD's (5%) and listening to CD's (5%). I currently use my PS3, via HDMI, to watch Blu-Ray and Standard DVD's. My satellite is connected to the receiver via component and optical. I am also considering adding an iPod dock to the receiver.

I have experienced 2 problems with the Denon 889:

1. When changing SD channels the sound from the new channel comes on right away, but the picture is delayed (no picture at all during this time) between 5 and 7 seconds and on HD channels the delay happens sometimes and does not happen at other times. I have corrected this problem by running component, for the picture, from the satellite directly to the TV and using optical for the sound.

2. Every once in a while the sound cuts out for a split second. This happens while watching TV through the 889 and didn't happen while using the older Yamaha.

I would really appreciate your input on the differences between the Denon 889 and the Yamaha 6190.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize the the problem with the Denon is probably a handshake issue, but it is one I could live with. Just wondering if it is worth upgrading to the 6190? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.