AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Mitsubishi 65" HDTV with no aspect ratio control in progressive.

I note from the Denon manual that it may display a 4 x 3 movie properly on my 16 x 9 display.

I am more concerned about films such as Titanic which display as full width, but squashed in height when on the progressive display.

Will the Denon fix this?

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lescaudle
I am more concerned about films such as Titanic which display as full width, but squashed in height when on the progressive display.

Will the Denon fix this?
The DVD-900? No. You need a DVD player with scaling capabilities, such as the Panasonic RP-91.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joshua - I looked on the Toshiba site. That seems to be an older model that doesn't play +R or +RW - and I guess no Faroujda. Oh well, I suppose they will re-issue all the non-anamorphic films worth a damn. I'm certainly hoping.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lescaudle
Joshua - I looked on the Toshiba site. That seems to be an older model that doesn't play +R or +RW - and I guess no Faroujda. Oh well, I suppose they will re-issue all the non-anamorphic films worth a damn. I'm certainly hoping.
I assume you mean the Panasonic site?

Correct, no Faroujda. You basically have to make a decision about which is your priority, scaling or good deinterlacing. It's next to impossible to find an affordable player than can do both.

Or you could buy two DVD players, one with the Faroudja chip for your anamorphic DVDs and something cheap with the Mediamatics chip (like the Malata DVP-520 or the JVC XV-S500) for scaling non-anamorphic discs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joshua - any comments on picture quality of video server solutions instead of DVD players?

One direction I'm toying with is dedicating a computer to 1080i TV reception and also playing unencrypted DVDs from hard disk - and keeping my older Toshiba SD9100 for normal anamorphic DVD playing on 65" Mitsibishi WS-65905.

Aside from the hassle factor, my primary concern is picture quality. I've gotten rather used to the quality of the SD9100 - which to my untrained eye seems to be quite good - and could certainly not settle for less quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.