AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this player and what are your opinions, I have an GWIII on order and want a decent player. I have read the XP30 was the best and the Denon seems fairly close in quality. My price budget is about $300. Also those using this player have you had any problems playing any discs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
For what it's worth, there have been similar experiences as to mine with the Denon 910 hooked up to the XBR910. The screen flickers/jumps every few seconds when the Denon 910 is hooked up via component and set to Progressive mode. This issue goes away when the player is in Interlaced mode however. I don't know if this would be applicable for your GWIII, but I just thought that I would at least throw it out there.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
No, you will not have those problems with a 910 on a GW III. I've tried one myself and had no problems. The Denon 910 looked very nice.

Tiger

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought this player and personally find the picture a little soft. Deinterlacing is excellent, I can really tell the difference between the deinterlacer on my tv vs. the Denon. The Denon is much smoother. I've compensated for the softness by turning up the sharpness on my tv and it does look quite good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi:

Can I expect the same softness issues with the Denon 1200 as well? The only differences I have seen between the 2 are 3mb buffer and DVD audio capable. Neither of which would solve that issue. If that is the case, I may have to shell out for the 1600 (sorry honey, no vacation this year - I need a new toy)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had both the Denon 910 and 1200 in my house and the dvd video quality was a dead heat. Equally similar seems to be the less than "sturdy" design. I thought I was going to push in the back of both units when adhering the a/v cables.

From a video playback standpoint the 1200 has a distinct advantage in that it can play VCDs. A non advertised feature is that it also plays SVCDs. I understand that a lot of videophiles could care less about this capability, but for me it's a big plus.

One other note on the 1200 is that the remote responded much quicker than the 910. A small knock on both remotes is that they work better when pointed directly at the units. This is a small problem for a person with a front projector, like myself, who points his remote to the screen in front of him as his a/v eqipment is behind him. The remotes for my audio receiver, vcr, sattelite receiver and other dvd player never had this problem. Just a little FYI.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm in the process of putting together a HT for a friend. He purchased my 9K after I upgraded to a 12K. UNfortunately I made the mistake of buying a 910 for him. The build quality is terrible and IMHO, not worthy of the Denon name. The DVD player's drawer works when it wants to and it freezes up when you actually get it to accept a DVD.

The unit is going back.

BOmber

·
Registered
362 Posts
The 910 has been a solid performer for me. I haven't experienced the tray or freezing issues at all.

Layer change isn't that big a deal to me and I barely notice it unless the transfer has it in a stupid place, i.e. in the middle of a scene instead of at the end of one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 910 a week ago. Worked great until it froze up on me today. Can't get tray to open or anything else to function. After I hit the Open/Close button, it stays on Open for a few moments, then freezes on Close.

Tried Power off, then back on. Tried unplugging for a few minutes. Still no luck.

Hey bomber, were you able to unfreeze your 910? If so, how?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pactex,

Your experience is exactly like mine. I took the cover off and was able to put a little pressure on the door opening mechanism and it opened. I was happy just to get my DVD out. I then mdae the mistake of tring it again. It seemed to work just fine for about 3 minutes and then it locked up and had the same drawer issues....POS IMHO.

BOmber

·
Registered
201 Posts
JGDragov: I know this isn't the front PJ forum, but mind replying with what projector you're using? I have the new InFocus on order and I'm a little leary of buying the DVD player, currently favoring the 910, given the compatability issues some are having with some RPTVs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
BHen.

I have the NEC LT240K. I use to have the X1(great bang for your buck PJ) but I never used a Denon with it so I can't give you a compatibility review.

For what it's worth, I went out and bought a Toshiba sd-4900 just for a side by side comparison because I wasn't sold on the Denon image. To my surprise, the Toshiba was by far the better image and it was only $79. Needless to say I returned the Denon the next day and I have no regrets.

I was convinced that a "high end player" was what I needed but I'm telling you this was an excellent pick up. It saved me a lot of money and I'm less committed, both financially and emotionally, if I decide to upgrade sooner than later to one of the players that has 720p or 1080i output.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The reviewers on Amazon mostly have good things to say about the Toshiba as well. I'm suprised that it does DVD-A at that price. I know there's an inexpensive Pioneer player that does both DVD-A and SACD but has the "chroma bug", so it wouldn't be my choice for video. I may have to reconsider the 910 and try the SD-4900. Has this player been on the market for a while? I don't want to wait if it's going to be replaced anytime soon. I'm waiting for my first front projector, which hasn't been released yet so I have some time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the 4900 player is close to a year old. I just saw it in my 6th Avenue weekly flier for $69.

As far as a newer model goes, I see a Toshiba SD5960 in the same flier(looks vey similar to the 4900). It has the same component out Colorstream image quality but it also has the upconverting capability to 720p or 1080i. The price is $199, but I've seen it for $179.

This is a player I might bring home for a side by side to see if there is a big difference in image quality. The only drawback is you need a digital input to realize the upconversion benefit. Check the inputs on the soon to be yours projector. What PJ model are you getting by the way BHen?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I picked up the 910 while waiting out the upconversion wars.........have had Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba DVD players..........Denon is by far the best, for the price point perhaps you are buying into the name but so far she is a keeper...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.