·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have:

Denon AVR-4306

7.1 setup with Polks all around and an SAS sub

I have both an SPL meter as well as the setup Microphone for the Denon

I am confused on the proper and best way to set these up and hope someone can help with these questions below. I have read the manuals and played around on my own but still have some confusion on the best thing to do:

--------

* Should I use the "Auto Setup" microphone setup and the "Audessey" mode or is this considered "simple" and poor quality?

* When would I want to use "Flat", "Front" or "Audessey" modes and which one is preferred for movie viewing?

* Is it preferred to adjust my speaker levels using a SPL meter rather than Audessey? It seems that the levels I obtain using the SPL meter differ from what Audessey chooses.

* Does the "tone generator" mode on the Denon us White Noise or Pink Noise? I was told by someone that Pink Noise is preferred for level checking, is this correct?

* When setting levels with an SPL meter, should I ultimately be making the levels of all speakers the same?

* There is an option on the receiver if you press the center cursor button and then "up" once to shift the sound from front to rear... the book only mentions it vaguely , stating there are 14 "levels", and when you shift the sound using that option, there is no indication of what level you are on -- so if you shift it you can hear it move but have no idea how far shifted it is... does anyone know what the "default" is? (is it directly in the middle, even front and back?) What is the optimum shift? It seems to screw up the whole level settings for front and rear speakers in the speaker level setting page, yet the output volume levels still come out even, it's very strange.

Thanks in advance!

-John

·
Registered
30,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSurge /forum/post/0

* Should I use the "Auto Setup" microphone setup and the "Audessey" mode or is this considered "simple" and poor quality?

Why not? It is a sophisticated system.

Quote:
* When would I want to use "Flat", "Front" or "Audessey" modes and which one is preferred for movie viewing?

Which ever you prefer.

Quote:
* Is it preferred to adjust my speaker levels using a SPL meter rather than Audessey? It seems that the levels I obtain using the SPL meter differ from what Audessey chooses.

If they differ significantly, you doing something wrong. My Audyssey measurements come within +/-1dB of the independent measurements.

Quote:
* Does the "tone generator" mode on the Denon us White Noise or Pink Noise? I was told by someone that Pink Noise is preferred for level checking, is this correct?

It sounds 'pink' to me but I think it is not exactly pink.

Quote:
* When setting levels with an SPL meter, should I ultimately be making the levels of all speakers the same?

Yes.

Quote:
* There is an option on the receiver if you press the center cursor button and then "up" once to shift the sound from front to rear... the book only mentions it vaguely , stating there are 14 "levels", and when you shift the sound using that option, there is no indication of what level you are on -- so if you shift it you can hear it move but have no idea how far shifted it is... does anyone know what the "default" is? (is it directly in the middle, even front and back?) What is the optimum shift? It seems to screw up the whole level settings for front and rear speakers in the speaker level setting page, yet the output volume levels still come out even, it's very strange.

I wouldn't bother with it since (1) I cannot imagine why you would need it and (2) it will upset the very measurement/calibration you are discussing.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:

Audyssey is far more complex and advanced than anything you could ever dream of doing by hand. Just make sure that the mic is pointed directly upwards, not "close to upwards," and make sure you use all the sampling locations, not just 1 or 2.

Quote:

Front basically means not using Audyssey at all as far as your main speakers are concerned, so I wouldn't consider that an option. Beyond that, pick the one you prefer. If you can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter which you go with.

Quote:

Keep in mind that Audyssey is adjusting for multiple "zones" in the room, giving you the best soundstage across a number of seating positions. You and an SPL meter inaccurately measures from one single position in the room.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding the front/rear shift option, do you know what the "default" is?

Should it be exactly in the middle?

The problem is that the Denon does not seem to indicate what the default position is and explains very little about it -- I would have expected a -7/0/+7 type thing where 0 is default or something but there is no indication, it seems to be all by ear.

I played around with it and now have no idea how to know when it is "normal" -- you can reset it in a sense by looking at one of the entries like FL, and then shifting all the way to one side and then all the way to the other -- once you know the hard stops you can find the "middle" setting -- however I dont know if the "middle" is the default.

Do you use Audessey or Flat or Front?... is there one that is considered suggested for movie listening... meaning most like studio conditions?

-John

·
Registered
30,841 Posts

Quote:

Regarding the front/rear shift option, do you know what the "default" is?

Should it be exactly in the middle?

Who knows? When I had a Denon AVR, I never noticed this capability. But, if I had, I would have ignored it.

Quote:
Do you use Audessey or Flat or Front?... is there one that is considered suggested for movie listening... meaning most like studio conditions?

Flat, of course. Anything else and it (and your room) change the response from getting close to what the studio intended. Audyssey is supposed to be some compensation for the difference between home and theatre conditions but I found it a bit muted with music (my reference).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tips --

Followup question:

When I do the auto setup, it suggests using the Sub+Main for my LFE and "Large" for all my speakers -- and it also suggests a bunch of specific crossover points for my sub -- such as 40hz for my fronts, 80 hz for surrounds, etc. But if I make one change, setting the crossover directly to "120hz" accross the board, the system sounds much better -- the bass is very lacking if I stick with the Audyssey alone.

Any thoughts on this or why it would be that way?

I have an SVS sub which can reproduce a broad range well.

·
Registered
30,841 Posts
Without knowing your speakers, all I can say is that 120Hz should only be used if absolutely necessary since it is so high that sub localization is probable. Of course, what I like or, even, what is correct/accurate, may not be what you like and that, when all is said and done, is what counts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did notice if I went to 150-200 range I would hear deep voiced people coming out of the sub, which is I'm assuming an example of what you are saying?

I have Polk RTI10s for front, and FXI5s i think for surround.

I've been looking into issues of room treatments the last few days, which may be another cause of my difference in bass, etc.

-John

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kal -- just noticed your articles and stumbled on the recent one regarding AVR-4806 and Audyssey -- from what I can tell the 4806 has a more advanced processor than the 4306 and is an alternative to "room treatments". I have been looking at them for my bass situation (my bass has peaks/valleys that are hurting the response from what I can tell) and I have been talking to a gentleman at RealTraps (possibly your friend).

Anyway, my room can handle 2 corner traps and maybe one or two wall traps but I can't go crazy -- I was wondering why they don't make "bass equalizers" to solve the problem but from reading your article, apparently they do -- which would you suggest? Traps or some kind of bass equalizer?

Is the point of the Audyssey in AVR-4306 to fix flaws in speaker graphs or to fix room peaks and valleys, or both?

Thanks

-John

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
John,

Quote:

my room can handle 2 corner traps and maybe one or two wall traps but I can't go crazy

Yes, that will help far more than any active device. I'm not opposed to using EQ like the Audyssey to reduce peaks in the lowest octave or so below, say, 60 Hz. But all rooms have numerous peaks and deep nulls through the entire bass range up to 300 Hz and above. For those frequencies bass traps are far more effective.

--Ethan

·
Registered
30,841 Posts

Quote:

I was wondering why they don't make "bass equalizers" to solve the problem but from reading your article, apparently they do -- which would you suggest? Traps or some kind of bass equalizer?

Bass traps. Anything you can do acoustically is better.

Quote:
Is the point of the Audyssey in AVR-4306 to fix flaws in speaker graphs or to fix room peaks and valleys, or both?

It is supposed to do both but it is not as good as a good acoustic environment nor can it cure an awful one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
KAL,

While we are on this subject:

I have a Denon AVR5308CI and a 5.1 speaker configuration. If I bi-amp FL and FR by assigning the Surr Back L and R amps, respectively, will Audessey set the crossovers for these amps automatically?

On another subject, my speaker set up:

FL and FR-Paradigm Studio 100's

Center- Spendor C5

SL and SR- Spendor S 3/5 R's

Would I gain much by replacing the Spendors with Paradigm's Studio 20's and CC590?

Thanks,

·
Registered
30,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z /forum/post/13859212

KAL,

While we are on this subject:

I have a Denon AVR5308CI and a 5.1 speaker configuration. If I bi-amp FL and FR by assigning the Surr Back L and R amps, respectively, will Audessey set the crossovers for these amps automatically?

There are no built-in crossovers for biamping, afaik.

Quote:
On another subject, my speaker set up:

FL and FR-Paradigm Studio 100's

Center- Spendor C5

SL and SR- Spendor S 3/5 R's

Would I gain much by replacing the Spendors with Paradigm's Studio 20's and CC590?

Thanks,

I'd replace all three with Studio 20s. I am not a fan of CC speakers, in general (although the new Paradigms are pretty good).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.