AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hope I am in the right spot.

I have an Denon X1400H with Klipsch Quintet Reference speakers. Set as a 5.1.2. The sub is a Klipsch r100sw. I have run Audyssey a few times and I get levels and crossovers shown. The bass level is at half on the sub, and is connected through LFE with the phase turned to LFE. Sub is 120hz in the Denon.

Audyssey has set the sub to -12dB. Is this correct, are the crossovers correct? I am not happy with the sound, and I am getting and I am fed up running Audyssey again and again. I want to get the sound so the bass isn't overtaking the overall sound.

I know this is entry level equipment, but would love some help on ways I might improve what I have and maybe improve the sound...thank you

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sub gain is set too high. Dial it back to 10-25% of maximum so the end result is not -12dB.

Also, every Audyssey question you can likely think of is answered in the Audyssey FAQ thread linked below.

"Official" Audyssey thread Part II | AVS Forum
Thank you for the reply. I will check out the forum. When you say sub gain is set to high, do you mean the gain dial on the back of the subwoofer that is currently at half way?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
+/-12dB is the limit so whenever its at -12 we dont know if its actually -12 or maybe -16 or more so it cant lower it enough(or raise if +) to get it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I alvast thought this calibration was how it should be… now that I turned it off, it’s as if I got a free speaker upgrade. The sound is amazing and crystal clear now especially the dialogue is not pumped up with bass anymore.

what audyssey XT reference does is try and simulate a muddy theatre

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I alvast thought this calibration was how it should be… now that I turned it off, it’s as if I got a free speaker upgrade. The sound is amazing and crystal clear now especially the dialogue is not pumped up with bass anymore.

The OP is just running his sub too hot already so hopefully it will work out well for him when that is sorted. It is a good idea to turn off some of the Audyssey parts including fully off and see what you prefer. If you had dynamic EQ running that pumps the bass up a lot especially at low to moderate levels. We all have different preferences and finding what works for “me” is rewarding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

I believe that term is used in their marketing approach. I found an excerpt..
MultEQ XT32 also allows a receiver to create independent equalization for two subwoofers, which should provide smooth bass response over a large portion of a living room—something a single subwoofer can't do and allow your system to sound like your local muddy theatre.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Epson 5050 PJ/120', Ascend L/C/R w Raals, SVSx2, SonyHR/BRD, X4700AVR, Buckeye amp, Palliser seating
1,282 Posts

Thats a convoluted twist. Audyssey isn't at all necessary to simulate a muddy theater. lol

Recommend a review of your Audyssey measurement processes. ie; removing all background noise, insuring line of sight between microphone and all speakers during measurment, setting sub level correctly prior to measurement, insuring microphone is at ear level and perpendicular to the ceiling for each measurement, keep all measurements within the proper radius of the MLP throughout the process. Also, know that Audyssey cannot correct for poor subwoofer placement so make sure your sub is optimally placed in your room prior to calibration. The old cliche' "garbage in, garbage out" is particularly applicable to all room correction programs. Good Luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I already had the mic on a stand and level with the ceiling, sub at 50% power on the dial, even turned off the projector and connected an old lcd when doing the calibration. I have a Denon x3200 EU I think.

some friends who are audio engineers or producers complained about the rear speakers being too loud.

my guess is due to my minimal furniture and low end gear, the Audyssey didn’t do anything for me.

thanks for the suggestions, I didn’t want to disrespect the calibration. It measured the distances down to the exact CM btw so I know it is very accurate

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thats a convoluted twist. Audyssey isn't at all necessary to simulate a muddy theater. lol

Recommend a review of your Audyssey measurement processes. ie; removing all background noise, insuring line of sight between microphone and all speakers during measurment, setting sub level correctly prior to measurement, insuring microphone is at ear level and perpendicular to the ceiling for each measurement, keep all measurements within the proper radius of the MLP throughout the process. Also, know that Audyssey cannot correct for poor subwoofer placement so make sure your sub is optimally placed in your room prior to calibration. The old cliche' "garbage in, garbage out" is particularly applicable to all room correction programs. Good Luck.
Here's a twist for you regarding "removing all background noise". I have an air cleaner that I usually run in my theater as it is always cleaning the air and circulating it. It is fairly quiet but still noticeable. I ran xt32 with it both on and off. The setting with it on is preferred when the air cleaner is running. So, technically it would not be "background noise", rather a constant source of noise. I found xt32 did a good job in calibrating it with it on. Makes my theater sound the muddiest it has ever been! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello,

Hope I am in the right spot.

I have an Denon X1400H with Klipsch Quintet Reference speakers. Set as a 5.1.2. The sub is a Klipsch r100sw. I have run Audyssey a few times and I get levels and crossovers shown. The bass level is at half on the sub, and is connected through LFE with the phase turned to LFE. Sub is 120hz in the Denon.

Audyssey has set the sub to -12dB. Is this correct, are the crossovers correct? I am not happy with the sound, and I am getting and I am fed up running Audyssey again and again. I want to get the sound so the bass isn't overtaking the overall sound.

I know this is entry level equipment, but would love some help on ways I might improve what I have and maybe improve the sound...thank you

Thank you View attachment 3155690 View attachment 3155691
Like one of the other posters recommended you need to read up on the guides from this site. It’s simple as that. There is no magic short cut like most things of any value. Once I did my research (due to pandemic and desire to learn) my “budget Denon” turned out to be a WINNER. Took a lot of trial and error but now I can do it with my eyes closed. Every room is different which is why you should take the time to learn what you are doing so you can get your money’s worth from your gear. My 2 cents at least. Good luck

·
Registered
610 Posts
I recently redid my Audyssey setup after adding a couple subs and it literally took me four different attempts with multi EQ app to get the sound I want. Same everything each time but the end result was a different sound due to background noises (I live near a road, generator outside coming on, fridge turning on, etc) and changing the positioning of the microphone. In the end I found the best sound for me came from an Audyssey set up with only three microphone positions across the main couch in front.

The first two attempts with five listening positions on the same couch were too muddy and there was too much bass in the dialogue. I knew right away that I had to do it again because I've had it perfect before so instead of getting discouraged I just redid it. Sure enough after four attempts I got the right sound and got it perfect.

Don't feel like you have to do all eight listening positions. Experiment a little bit with three or five.

Also, I highly recommend making a curtain with the multi EQ app. I have mine set at 300 Hz so Audyssey doesn't get to change anything over 300 Hz. Some people prefer a 500Hz curtain but my speakers like 300hz.

I feel bad for people that give Audyssey a couple shots and then give up, deciding what they have sounds like crap.... because I know how the end result can sound completely different just because of the placement of the microphones or the amount of listening positions you run, or that pillow was in the way or that truck drove by making noise, etc.

The other cool thing about the Multi EQ app is you can save as many Audyssey setups as you want and then load them up into the AVR to compare and then just pick the best one.

GL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like one of the other posters recommended you need to read up on the guides from this site. It’s simple as that. There is no magic short cut like most things of any value. Once I did my research (due to pandemic and desire to learn) my “budget Denon” turned out to be a WINNER. Took a lot of trial and error but now I can do it with my eyes closed. Every room is different which is why you should take the time to learn what you are doing so you can get your money’s worth from your gear. My 2 cents at least. Good luck
Thank you. I have been reading and I have learnt a lot and it answered lots of my questions. I had run audyssey about 15 times!!! Also when you start going though the forums with others posts it gets very confusing and a bit lost. Anyway I am on the road to enlightenment. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
The other thing that can make a giant difference in the sound is what it sets all your crossovers at.

I immediately change everything below 80 to 80 And make sure you have your Audyssey set to flat instead of reference...no EQ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The other thing that can make a giant difference in the sound is what it sets all your crossovers at.

I immediately change everything below 80 to 80 And make sure you have your Audyssey set to flat instead of reference...no EQ.
My crossovers are high, but the speakers are small. I’ll see what happens once I’ve corrected the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah, I already had the mic on a stand and level with the ceiling, sub at 50% power on the dial, even turned off the projector and connected an old lcd when doing the calibration. I have a Denon x3200 EU I think.
Yeah, I already had the mic on a stand and level with the ceiling Really!! :unsure:o_O

1 - 20 of 24 Posts