AVS Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
My crossovers are high, but the speakers are small. I’ll see what happens once I’ve corrected the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ye, the speakers are very small so an 80Hz crossover is far too low for those. The very high crossovers you will need makes it more important to not boost the sub much if at all or you will easily get boomy voices but if you feel the bass is too light for you, you can try and see how much boost you can get away with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, I already had the mic on a stand and level with the ceiling Really!! :unsure:o_O
lol, the tripod shows the mic as being water level, and I assumed the ceiling is as well.. but yeah you are correct, I didn’t jam the mic into the ceiling haha

·
Registered
590 Posts
My crossovers are high, but the speakers are small. I’ll see what happens once I’ve corrected the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to reiterate, I only raise the crossovers of speakers that are set below 80 back up to 80. Raising a speaker's crossover point is not dangerous to the speaker itself, you are just cutting off more low end as you go up.

However, logically and from what I've read you are not supposed to lower the crossovers of speakers set higher than 80 because they are not able to handle lower frequencies and in big dynamic moments can damage the speaker or at least distort. If your speakers are small and the crossover is set to 120 or whatever I would keep it there.

I am only talking about when Audyssey decides the fronts are all "large" speakers or they are all set to 40hz. Those get changed back up to small and 80 Hz.

The difference between my front speaker crossovers being set at 40, 60, or 80 is quite noticable and I find 80 to be much more open sounding and clear in a home theater environment. It also wakes my subs up a little more because they are getting more information and they are much more capable of handling it than the fronts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The sub gain is set too high. Dial it back to 10-25% of maximum so the end result is not -12dB.

Also, every Audyssey question you can likely think of is answered in the Audyssey FAQ thread linked below.

"Official" Audyssey thread Part II | AVS Forum
I ran Audyssey againwith the sub gain at 25% and I got -1.5db on my receiver. Massive improvement. So thanks for the tip.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts