Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

My AVR does not seem to decode DTS? If I set from PCM to DTS with a DTS movie I get no sound. Switching to Direct input and PCM sound comes in. I have the DVD (Panasonic Progressive scan) set to output Bitstream.

Also, t. tone does not seem to work.

Dolby Prologic seems OK...

Any ideas of things to check?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that. In Auto it never switches to DTS - stays on PCM regardless of input even though Digital shows. Also t. tone does not output even though the screen shows the speaker visual...

·
Registered
654 Posts
You don't mention, did the unit decode DTS before? If so, you might try doing a processor reset (be aware that you WILL lose all of your units memorized settings, radio stations and all.)

If you have not tried DTS before, then set the 3300 to Digital input and Auto. Then, go into the players menu and make sure that DTS is turned on. ALL players come from the factory with the DTS switched off. (Choosing DTS on the disc menu still won't turn the player itself on.)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Han,

I don't know if DTS ever worked. I'll try the reset option. Is there any way to test DTS with a "test" DVD or something?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Does DD work? If it is decoding DD correctly, it should display "Dolby D" in the display, otherwise, it will just think it is a stereo track and you will get "Dolby Pro Logic".

If the later happens, it might be a bad signal, so change the cables. Also, depending on how old your DVD player is, it might not be able to pass DTS signals.

Jason

·
Registered
654 Posts
Bill: Yes, an ok test DVD is available. It is Sound and Vision's Home Theater Tune-up disc. I've seen it at Circuit City and Best Buy for around $20 and it does contain DTS test tones (along with some DD tones and minimal video setup stuff.) (A better test disc for video setup is Avia (around $40) but I don't remember it having any DTS tracks.)

Jason has a good question. Does your 3300 decode Dolby Digital via the digital input? If all you can get is PCM, then the reset looks more like something you should try (I would assume that if your digital cable passes PCM, it would pass DD and DTS.) (FWIW, I feel fairly confident that your player can pass DTS if DTS is turned on at the player, since you mention it is a progressive output model (re: a fairly late model.)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Bill: Another thought...

In your Panasonic's player setup, what is the digital output set to do? If it is bitstream only, you have it set wrong. It should say either Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital and Bitstream. (Of course, this is also where you need to turn on the DTS output too.)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Han and TheLongshot,

Lots of things to try. I'm off to CC to get the set up disk so I can figure all this out. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.