AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a AVR-1610 from Best Buy. I don't have expanded cable, just the basic networks you get for $10 from Comcast.

I hooked my cable into the one port on the back that would take coaxial cable, but when I change the input on the receiver to "TV", I don't get any audio/video (nor can I really change channels or anything like that).

FWIW, I've got a wii, dvd player, iPhone up and working fine, it's just the Cable TV I can't figure out.

Do I have to have a cable box to watch tv through the Denon? Am I just doing something stupid?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. The Denon does not have a Tv internal tuner, the coax cable needs to be connected to the Tv. Then connect an audio optical cable or rca cable out from Tv to the denon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18222897

What audio output does it have? What model Tv set?

For more info and any questions on your new denon 1610, visit the 1610/590 Owner's thread .

It's a Vizio vw32l from 2007. It doesn't have any type of audio out.

Unfortunately, I don't really have interest in buying $50/mo cable (to get a cable box) and I don't have the $$ right now to get a new TV or something like that. I'm perfectly happy watching network tv (mostly watch DVDs and hulu/boxee anyway).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Do you have an old VCR in the closet you can use as a TV tuner?

If not, you can probably snag one for about $5.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDeathSquad /forum/post/18223474

It's a Vizio vw32l from 2007. It doesn't have any type of audio out.

Most HDTVs have an optical out, which should include yours as well from looking at the Owners Manual. Check the back of the display for the optical jack on the far right. Connect an optical cable from that to the 1610.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
jdsmoothie
Quote:
Check the back of the display for the optical jack on the far right. Connect an optical cable from that to the 1610.

That appears to be a coax antenna connection (not an optical out jack).

Ref #9 DTV/TV (CABLE/ANTENNA) Connect to an antenna or digital cable (out-of-the-wall, not from Cable Box) for Digital TV. (page 9 in OM)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18223910

jdsmoothie

That appears to be a coax antenna connection (not an optical out jack).

Ref #9 DTV/TV (CABLE/ANTENNA) Connect to an antenna or digital cable (out-of-the-wall, not from Cable Box) for Digital TV. (page 9 in OM)

Yup, that's cable in not optical out. I confirmed that there's no audio out in the manual.

Might see if I could just sell this thing on craigslist and buy a new cheap LCD that has audio out.

Will have to wait a month or two though.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDeathSquad /forum/post/18223987

Yup, that's cable in not optical out. I confirmed that there's no audio out in the manual.

Might see if I could just sell this thing on craigslist and buy a new cheap LCD that has audio out.

Yeah, with no audio-out on the TV, your options are pretty much:

1) Replace TV

2) Get cable-box

3) Get 3rd-party box with a digital tuner, such as a TIVO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts