6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following setup:

Samsung PN50B550

Denon AVR 1910

Motorola DCH6416 (HD DVR Cable Box)

Sony PS3

Microsoft Xbox 360

The PS3, Xbox 360, and DCH6416 are all hooked up to the AVR 1910 via HDMI. And the video out on the AVR 1910 is hooked up to the PN50B550 via HDMI.

I have had this setup for about a month now, and for the last month I have been noticing a strange occurrence when watching TV via the DCH6416.

Randomly, and without a consistent timing (usually every 20-30 minutes), the signal from the Cable Box drops out for about 1-2 seconds....the sound will only pop out and on (it drops out for under half a second), but the video will drop out for about 2 seconds max.

When the video drops out the TV shows the Information Box in the upper left corner confirming the input is still on HDMI 1, but that the 1080i signal is lost. The moment the picture comes back, the info box shows 1080i signal again.

And if I am watching an HD channel with Dolby Digital, when the signal drops out the receiver switches to PLII Cinema sound, then switches right back to Dolby Digital when the signal comes back.

Again, this problem is very random, but happens within a time frame of every 30 minutes, no matter what channel I am watching.

I do not have this issue AT ALL when I am using/watching my Xbox 360 or PS3. Just when I am using the Motorola DCH6416.

I also never had this issue when the Cable Box was hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI, but for obvious reasons (less wires and convenience) I want to leave it hooked up to the receiver via HDMI.

So, now to the troubleshooting part:

Is there a setting on the receiver I should try that might fix this issue?

Or is the Cable Box to blame? If so, is there a newer model out (I have Time Warner) that will fix this issue?

As I said, I do not have this problem with my 360 or PS3, so I doubt the TV or AV Receiver is defective...just seems like a weird HDMI handshake problem between the cable box and receiver....

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
it could be a handshake issue. Cable boxes seem to be one of the worst culprits for issues like this

·
The Village Idiot
9,718 Posts
It sounds like it might be your cable box or the feed coming to it. If the connection is dropped even for a fraction of a second the receiver has to renegotiate the handshake. Receivers usually take more time to do this than a tv does so it may not be as noticeable if you connect it directly to your tv.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have a Time Warner technician coming out Thursday because the feed going to this box is messed up (I cannot get TBS HD, TNT HD or Discovery Theater HD....but I get those channels on my downstairs TV).

If I mention this problem to him as well will he be able to help?

Or should I just go to Time Warner tomorrow and ask for a new box?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
yes, figure out if its your cable box first. He'll be able to detect if the signal coming into the cable box is weak or dropping out and fix that part. If the cable box is losing signal, the handshaking does take a while. He might need to replace the cable. If the dropouts are only happening on HD, then it might be because your signal is too weak.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus /forum/post/16945506

I have the following setup:

Samsung PN50B550

Denon AVR 1910

Motorola DCH6416 (HD DVR Cable Box)

Sony PS3

Microsoft Xbox 360

The PS3, Xbox 360, and DCH6416 are all hooked up to the AVR 1910 via HDMI. And the video out on the AVR 1910 is hooked up to the PN50B550 via HDMI.

I have had this setup for about a month now, and for the last month I have been noticing a strange occurrence when watching TV via the DCH6416.

Randomly, and without a consistent timing (usually every 20-30 minutes), the signal from the Cable Box drops out for about 1-2 seconds....the sound will only pop out and on (it drops out for under half a second), but the video will drop out for about 2 seconds max.

When the video drops out the TV shows the Information Box in the upper left corner confirming the input is still on HDMI 1, but that the 1080i signal is lost. The moment the picture comes back, the info box shows 1080i signal again.

And if I am watching an HD channel with Dolby Digital, when the signal drops out the receiver switches to PLII Cinema sound, then switches right back to Dolby Digital when the signal comes back.

Again, this problem is very random, but happens within a time frame of every 30 minutes, no matter what channel I am watching.

I do not have this issue AT ALL when I am using/watching my Xbox 360 or PS3. Just when I am using the Motorola DCH6416.

I also never had this issue when the Cable Box was hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI, but for obvious reasons (less wires and convenience) I want to leave it hooked up to the receiver via HDMI.

So, now to the troubleshooting part:

Is there a setting on the receiver I should try that might fix this issue?

Or is the Cable Box to blame? If so, is there a newer model out (I have Time Warner) that will fix this issue?

As I said, I do not have this problem with my 360 or PS3, so I doubt the TV or AV Receiver is defective...just seems like a weird HDMI handshake problem between the cable box and receiver....

HI, I'm no expert. But I had a simillar issue on my HD 8300 DVR cable box. I was'nt able to get the current channel picture in the corner when I used guide on the cable box. The cables weren't carrying the whole signal. I bought some monster cables from crutchfields, MV Quad RG6. Changed all the cables that were going into to the modem then to cable box. I use good quality splitters where needed. Since then, no probs. Perhaps it's worth mentioning to the cable guy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm just repeating what Batpig would tell you but, you should use componet cables and a toslink for sound from your cable box to your 1910, the 1910 will upconvert the signal for you to 1080P anyways and there won't be any HDMI handshake issue. Also it will free up another HDMI input. Hope this helps, it's what I plan to do if 6Ave evr decides to send me my 1910!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the cable guy came out yesterday and fixed my "missing channel" problem (the signal strength between the wall outlet and my cable box was losing 19db, where it should only lose 1-2db between the two points he said....fixed it by using a new piece of coaxial cable, free of charge
)

But I am still having my handshake issue between the cable box and receiver, although now only the video drops out for 1-2 seconds.....the audio still plays.

Again, the issue I am having is that randomly, with no certain time schedule I will lose video signal for 1-2 seconds max, then video will come back on, all while the audio is still playing.

Would using Component Cables with Optical Audio solve this?

Also, if I do decide to switch to Component, will the picture actually look a little better since the receiver is up converting to 1080p (especially on standard definition channels)???

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
BigCoolJesus
Quote:
But I am still having my handshake issue between the cable box and receiver, although now only the video drops out for 1-2 seconds.....the audio still plays.

Again, the issue I am having is that randomly, with no certain time schedule I will lose video signal for 1-2 seconds max, then video will come back on, all while the audio is still playing.

May try checking and set the Motorola DCH6416 box to output at one fixed resolution (1080i) for all channels. It might be that the dropouts occur when a channel changes resolution which requiring all the HDMI devices to resync and renegotiate.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSUCHY /forum/post/16984898

I would think so, try it!

I just got done changing the wiring to Component with Optical Audio.....it seems to have done the trick.

I have not had a chance to watch a good 1+ hour straight of Cable, but I have not had the "drop out" problem yet.

And standard definition content seems to be a little bit better. Nothing to noticeable, but a tiny bit more "crisp".

Is true 1080p content through cable/satellite (I will be switching to Direct TV in the near future) still a very long way off?

Meaning, will I need to worry about using HDMI for 1080p content through cable/satellite sometime in the near future, or is 1080i going to stay the "standard" for broadcasting for a long while?

·
The Village Idiot
9,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSUCHY /forum/post/16988389

Yeah For BATPIG! That was his advice on a similar issue in the 1910 thread. On the other thought, I don't see 1080P for cable/satellite anywhere near the near future.

1080i is a great picture - I have Directv and get about 30 HD channels. Basically I only watch Nascar - sports - and the History/Discovery channels. All come in HD res with excellent pictures. Yeah I've seen 1080P with BluRay - wonderful looking picture - almost 3d - but I don't think any satellite has the horsepower to deliver that much signal with the number of channels they make available.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16988442

1080i is a great picture - I have Directv and get about 30 HD channels. Basically I only watch Nascar - sports - and the History/Discovery channels. All come in HD res with excellent pictures. Yeah I've seen 1080P with BluRay - wonderful looking picture - almost 3d - but I don't think any satellite has the horsepower to deliver that much signal with the number of channels they make available.

Thanks for the feedback on DirectTV.......hoping to switch to it sometime soon here.

A little off topic, but when I do switch, will the signal from the satellite use the same coaxial connector I already have wired to the outside wall of my room?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, well.....I thought I was in the clear.

But now, since my switch to using Component Video cables, there is video interference on my HD channels.

By interference, I mean 2-3 horizontal bars that scroll from bottom to top. The bars are green in tint, but very very faint. They are hard to see, except for really white images or very dark scenes.

On standard channels, the bars are not present (or just unnoticeable).

Is there a fix for this problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts