AVS Forum banner

Denon AVR 1912 - Airplay - Android - DoubleTwist

12K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
Having an issue with my Denon AVR 1912. Have been using the airplay function on it for years.

I can airplay to the Denon from my iphone, and from my itunes laptop just not my android v4.4 device.

Doubletwist the primary andriod app that allows one to sync itunes libraries and airplay music to a remote reciever works or will send music to an alternate stereo. I have a small bedroom stereo made by pioneer that has airplay functionality, doubletwist can stream music to the Pioneer. These two airplay devices are on the same network; the network has no issues.

DoubleTwist advertises two features for airplay magicplay, and the pro version of doubletwist; I have purchased both.

The strange part is the Denon AVR device shows up in Doubletwist on the android device as a reciever I can send music to. When you select the Denon to play to. The Denon AVR 1912 lights up for a second as a selected option in doubletwist on Android, it turn to "on" then turns off within the second.

Another piece of information that might be useful is the Denon manufacturers app on android as well will not control the AVR 1912. The same Denon app on the iphone works fine. The reciever is on a static IP.

ALL the software and firmware on all devices are the latest, the network is great. This is an application to application level issue between doubletwist and the Denon.

Has anyone else had an issue with Denons like this. Searched google extensively cannot find anyone else having this issue and one site says it is possible although this links says its possible?
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/308-c...2012-avr-faq-setup-troubleshooting-guide.html

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you look at the description of the Denon remote apps on their respective iDevice and Google websites, you'll note the iDevice app works with 2011 (ie. XX12) and newer models while the Android app only works with 2012 (ie. XX13) and newer models. The 3rd party Android remote app, AVR-Remote will work with your 1912.

I've never used Airplay, but just downloaded DoubleTwist and the DoubleTwist add on Magic Play ($2.99) and was able to Airplay songs on my Android phone to my Denon X4000 without any problems. Although now I see what folks mean by Airplay audio starting so LOUD.

#3 ·
Airplay worked

Thank you for the insight. Candidly this does not make any sense to me, although it worked.

Connecting to the Denon AVR 1912 with the AVR Remote Application first. Then allows the doubletwist application to properly stream, or send songs via airplay to the receiver.

Remoted the manufacturers default Denon application from Android as it has no function with the 1912.

thanks, hopefully this helps alot of other people...

#5 ·
AirPlay on Android

AVR-Remote app works great. I cannot figure out how to turn this all on in the easy manner like your x4000. Have to turn on the AVR 1912 with the channel, then connect to the device with the AVR-Remote app on Android, then the button in DoubleTwist works.

For anyone who may read this in the future the Remote for iTunes app on google play/android works great. I have a laptop that stays running all the time as part of my entertainment center, with all my iTunes library loaded. With iTunes now if you change the airplay output device it remembers it. Therefore on Windows if you keep iTunes in startup, it will launch everytime the laptop is booted. One can use the Remote for iTunes app on android to play music on the iTunes library on the laptop. This way is alot easier and faster, find the Remote for iTunes interface to be faster, and simplier than DoubleTwist.

To complete the map make sure you buy iSyncr on Android. Its interface to sync iTunes playlists to your android devices over your personal WiFi is much easier to use than DoubleTwists sync functionality.

#7 · (Edited)
How exactly do you get doubletwist to work. I have a Denon X4000 and an android phone. If I play music from Google Play, there is an icon that looks like a square with a wifi signal coming off of it, when I click it, it says "searching for devices" but never finds anything. If I launch doubletwist airplay, there are no songs listed in the program.

I'm assuming that doubletwist only works with songs downloaded onto your phone and Google Play music is only in the cloud. So, how do you get the songs actually onto your phone? Do you have to download AirSync as well and sync your iTunes music to your phone, or hook your phone to your computer and transfer the songs from your pc to your phone before you can use the doubletwist airplay?

Also, shouldn't you be able to just hook your phone to the AVR with the usb charging cable that came with your phone? I've tried this, turned my AVR to "usb/ipod" and it says "no connection". Why doesn't this work?

#10 ·
So, in order to stream to the AVR x-4000, i do not need doubletwist-airplay, I simply need the doubletwist app and magic play app, correct? There are like 3 or 4 apps in that suite. Doubletwist, air play, magic play, and another i think. just want to make sure i have the right ones.

i'll also look into bubbleupnp as well.

also, as to actually getting music onto your phone, how do you do that? used to be on iphone, it would simply download right from itunes, but as far as I know, all music on the android is streamed from google play cloud servers, but never are actually stored on your phones storage drive, is that correct?

in any case, can you "air play" a song from your android phone to your denon if it is being streamed from a cloud server or does it have to be stored locally on your phone in order to stream?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.