AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, I am having a very hard time deciding what to do here. I went to purchase an Onkyo 674 although the shop was all out. I got a rain check and am waiting for stock to come in. Searching other stores for the Onkyo I ran across a GREAT deal on the Denon AVR-2307CI, basically the same price as the Onkyo. Now I'm not sure what to do.


I went to buy the Onkyo based on reviews and price. Features I liked were the HDMI switching and zonal speaker set up. Features I need are component switching for three inputs and 5.1 DD surround. The Denon is nice but doesn't have the zonal speaker set-up. Although it does have pre-amp outs which are missing on the Onkyo. Before I found the 2307CI, the closest Denon for the price was the AVR-787 although it didn't have the HDMI switching and therefore the Onkyo beat it.


Any opinions on which receiver would be the better purchase?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamilo /forum/post/0


Ok all, I am having a very hard time deciding what to do here. I went to purchase an Onkyo 674 although the shop was all out. I got a rain check and am waiting for stock to come in. Searching other stores for the Onkyo I ran across a GREAT deal on the Denon AVR-2307CI, basically the same price as the Onkyo. Now I'm not sure what to do.


I went to buy the Onkyo based on reviews and price. Features I liked were the HDMI switching and zonal speaker set up. Features I need are component switching for three inputs and 5.1 DD surround. The Denon is nice but doesn't have the zonal speaker set-up. Although it does have pre-amp outs which are missing on the Onkyo. Before I found the 2307CI, the closest Denon for the price was the AVR-787 although it didn't have the HDMI switching and therefore the Onkyo beat it.


Any opinions on which receiver would be the better purchase?

At the same price, Denon AVR-2307ci is better option. I am not sure, what you mean by zonal speaker setup, but if you mean zone2 capability - Denon 2307ci has zone2 setup too. You can have either a 5.1 in main zone and 2.0 in zone2 or you can add an amp/AVR for zone2 and have a full setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
axs - Thanks for the reply.


What I meant by zonal setup is that the Onkyo has the Audyssey 2EQ automatic calibration which has you calibrate in three different areas of the listening area so that the "area" is calibrated and not just the one spot. Since our listening area is far from ideal and basically has two sides of seating, I thought this might be a plus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamilo /forum/post/0


axs - Thanks for the reply.


What I meant by zonal setup is that the Onkyo has the Audyssey 2EQ automatic calibration which has you calibrate in three different areas of the listening area so that the "area" is calibrated and not just the one spot. Since our listening area is far from ideal and basically has two sides of seating, I thought this might be a plus.

Oh. OK.


AVR-2307ci also has auto setup/calibration and room equalization feature. It does not have 3 position measurement though. You will have to move up to avr-2807 for that. 2807 has 6 position Audyssey MultEqXT, which is better than 2EQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0


Oh. OK.


AVR-2307ci also has auto setup/calibration and room equalization feature. It does not have 3 position measurement though. You will have to move up to avr-2807 for that. 2807 has 6 position Audyssey MultEqXT, which is better than 2EQ.

If I could get the 2807 for around $550 I'd do it!
Although, I think I was lucky enough to find the 2307CI.
It's been a nice so far... has some nice features like input renaming and tuner preset naming. Still wondering if the Onkyo would work better for my situation though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhart /forum/post/0


Can you listen to both? (I ask because each has strong points that the other doesn't...but they're extremely similar.) IMO, it will come down to which receiver sounds better coming from the speakers.

The only way to try both would be to buy the Onkyo once it's back in stock. Then return the one I don't like. I'm not much up on doing that kind of thing but might have to do it this time. The deal on the Denon was not going to be around long, so I picked up the 2307CI. I have a rain check for the Onkyo at the same price at another local shop and they "should" be in Sunday. Other than buying both, I have no way of trying them out side by side.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top