AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am debating an upgrade/update to my aging Denon 2805 receiver. My mix of cabling is a complex mess and I am sick of dealing with having to factor in 7.1 analog audio when I shop for newer BluRay players.

I think the feature set looks pretty good for my needs on the Denon AVR-2310ci, I watch a lot of standard def TV so the video processing/scaling of the 2310 is a desirable feature. Mix of what I use the receiver for is about 25% SDTV, 45% HDTV, 20% BluRay/DVD, and about 10% 2 channel stereo audio (high quality MP3/lossless formats via the HTPC).

Question: Is the overall quality of the 2310ci on par with the older 2805, particularly the audio portion (amps, etc)? I don't want to take a step backward; I could upgrade to the 3310 vice the 2310 if there is a noticeable benefit in quality, but don't want to pay for extra features that I don't need (no multizone, I am never going to have more than 4 HDMI sources) .

Rest of my system: Comcast HD cable box currently output via component & TOSlink, Panasonic DMP-BD55 (HDMI to the display & 7.1 analog to the 2805), HTPC - DVI-D to the display & TOSlink to the 2805. My display is a Pioneer PRO-FHD1 50" plasma (1080p/24 capable), 7.1 B&W speakers (9 year old 603s).

Bonus question: is the video scaling/processing for SDTV 480i sources in the 2310ci better/worse that what my 3 year old PRO-FHD1 does internally?

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump - anyone have input??

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
The audio components in the 2805 are likely better then the 2310, however, the addition of Audyssey MultEQ in the 2310 will likely overcome any audio benefit the 2805 would normally have on the 2310. That as well as the addition of HDMI make the 2310 a solid upgrade for you. Whether the video upscaling of 480i content is better than the Pio is uncertain, although likely not worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. So then the question is, does the 3310 stack up better in terms of audio to the 2805, or is it basically the same as the 2310? I am OK with spending the money if I there is noticeably better audio quality between 2310 & 3310.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The AVR-3310 weighs 28.6 pounds whereas the AVR-2310 weighs 24.9 pounds. Not a huge difference and frankly depressing in respect to the AVR-3310 retails for 1500 Dollars. For comparisons sake, the AVR-3805 weighed 38.5 pounds.

A major advantage to the AVR-3310 is the inclusion of preamp outputs which the AVR-2310 lacks. If using inefficient Speakers and/or in a large Room, you might want the ability to add an outboard amplifier.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I am truly disappointed with the price versus amplification and feature set in current Denon AVR's. I really think Denon peaked in their x05 Series. The AVR-5805 is a gonzo masterpiece.

I really do appreciate that Denon still builds most of their AVR's in Japan, but the amplifier sections have really gone downward as evidenced in the weight of the current lineup. Moreover, THX Processing is only available in the AVR-5803. I do like that Audyssey MultEQ is available on many models rather than 2EQ.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/18263079

Hello,

The AVR-3310 weighs 28.6 pounds whereas the AVR-2310 weighs 24.9 pounds. Not a huge difference and frankly depressing in respect to the AVR-3310 retails for 1500 Dollars. For comparisons sake, the AVR-3805 weighed 38.5 pounds.

A major advantage to the AVR-3310 is the inclusion of preamp outputs which the AVR-2310 lacks. If using inefficient Speakers and/or in a large Room, you might want the ability to add an outboard amplifier.

Cheers,

AD

My AVR-2310 has preamp outputs - then again, it is the Asia-pacific 230v model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18263097

There wouldn't be. Rather select the 3310 because it offers some additional feature (eg networking, HD radio, pre-outs, DSX wide) that the 2310 does not.

Thanks- however I have little use/interest in most of those additional 3310 features for this particular HT system.

The comments in the rest of this thread have me sort of bummed out about the audio quality of both the 2310 & 3310 compared to the older gear. I have 2 home theater setups at 2 locations - a condo where the 2805 is used, and a house that has my beloved/aging 5800 (see my profile for the full configs if you are interested) , I have been very happy with the audio performance of both despite their age, I just hate being forced to go backwards on audio to get the other updated features unless I spend a fortune.

Maybe I need to expand my comparison to include other options in similar price range of the 2310/3310. Or just buy a refurbished 2310 for pretty cheap & see if I like it.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9985 /forum/post/18264258

The comments in the rest of this thread have me sort of bummed out about the audio quality of both the 2310 & 3310 compared to the older gear.

Huh? As I stated early on, the 2310 w/Audyssey MultEQ is likely to sound as good as or better than your 2805 due to the better EQ system then Denon's old system in the 2805. We've had a few posters in the 1910 thread in fact that came from Denon 3802 AVRs and were very pleased with the improvement in audio quality after using Audyssey MultEQ.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I got that, and I appreciate your experienced input, but the other comments about the general decline in audio component quality in recent generations of Denon AVR are just depressing, that's all. I am not such a hard-core AV geek that I would go to the trouble to in-home demo for A-B comparison, I will do a bit more research on other models in the same price range (possibly the new Onkyos), but will probably just take a chance on a refurbished 2310. If I hate the 2310's sound... well, my sister has been getting electronic hand-me-downs for her whole life, this would be just a quick cycle. The whole drill with the 2805 is a lower-end experiment for the eventually bigger upgrade to my 5800. I've been out of the receiver market for 5 years, just trying to figure out how the new stuff stacks up to the older gear. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2805 or 1910?

9985, with priority on the stereo power amp basic audio quality, rather than surround features, was the xx10 series a quality take down compared to the 2805? If you still remember, thanks for any comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts