AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice on this. I am lost at what to do.

I just received a Denon AVR 2802 and I am not sure if it will benefit me. I currently run 3 TVs and only use sound on my main screen. Attached to that main TV is my Vizio SB 4551-D5. I like the Soundbar and the bass I get, however, the surround sound is non-existent.

Primarily, I use YouTube TV, PS4, and antenna for the programs I am watching. The main concern is for sporting events.

I also have a pair of Bose 161 Bookshelf speakers that came with the Denon.

With the age of the Denon, I am not sure it would be valuable for me to use. However, I was thinking I could possibly connect each of my TVs to it via Digital Optical. It would be nice to use the other TVs for sound every now and then. Plus, I am not getting what I want from the soundbar setup as it is. I was thinking about possibly buying a center channel, sub, and two side speakers to go with the Denon.

I also wondered if I could somehow connect the Soundbar/Sub from the Vizio setup to the Denon? Then just wire in the Bose speakers for surround sound to give me exactly what I am looking for. I have searched this topic a bit and have not found anything really helpful.

I am trying to keep costs down if possible.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice on this. I am lost at what to do.

I just received a Denon AVR 2802 and I am not sure if it will benefit me. I currently run 3 TVs and only use sound on my main screen. Attached to that main TV is my Vizio SB 4551-D5. I like the Soundbar and the bass I get, however, the surround sound is non-existent.

Primarily, I use YouTube TV, PS4, and antenna for the programs I am watching. The main concern is for sporting events.

I also have a pair of Bose 161 Bookshelf speakers that came with the Denon.

With the age of the Denon, I am not sure it would be valuable for me to use. However, I was thinking I could possibly connect each of my TVs to it via Digital Optical. It would be nice to use the other TVs for sound every now and then. Plus, I am not getting what I want from the soundbar setup as it is. I was thinking about possibly buying a center channel, sub, and two side speakers to go with the Denon.

I also wondered if I could somehow connect the Soundbar/Sub from the Vizio setup to the Denon? Then just wire in the Bose speakers for surround sound to give me exactly what I am looking for. I have searched this topic a bit and have not found anything really helpful.

I am trying to keep costs down if possible.
John,

The VIZIO SB4551 sound bar is a very capable unit. The slim subwoofer will only pair with the bar, so you would not be able to use it with the Denon receiver, and you would not get surround sound with just the two Bose speakers. With the equipment noted, using the VIZIO sound bar is your best option.

You may not get surround sound from the VIZIO Sound Bar (or from the Denon receiver) if the TV is not outputting 5.1 audio. First you’ll need to check the TV’s owner’s manual to see if the TV is capable, then see if the function is enabled. Note that many older TVs are not capable of passing a 5.1 signal from the TV’s HDMI inputs to the TV’s output as noted in CNET’s review linked below. Rtings.com’s recent ranking (linked below) shows that many current models have added this capability; VIZIO is one of a few that have been doing it for a while. If the TV does not pass 5.1 from external sources, you may be restricted to receiving 5.1 only from the built-in TV tuner or built-in SmartTV apps.

2013 models: https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/
2017 models: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Once you have confirmed that you are receiving a 5.1 signal, you can adjust the surround volume level on the sound bar. Per the Quick Start guide on page 26: http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/sb4551d5/qsg-sb4551d5.pdf, press “Menu’, then use the up/down arrows to select the “Surround Levels” option. Then use Next/Previous to increase/decrease the surround levels to the desired level.

You should also be able to connect all three displays to the sound bar if you can use a separate audio connection for each TV. See page 8 of the sound bar manual. You could use HDMI ARC for the main TV, for example, and optical digital for the second and Coaxial digital or Analog stereo audio for the third TV.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

The VIZIO SB4551 sound bar is a very capable unit. The slim subwoofer will only pair with the bar, so you would not be able to use it with the Denon receiver, and you would not get surround sound with just the two Bose speakers. With the equipment noted, using the VIZIO sound bar is your best option.

You may not get surround sound from the VIZIO Sound Bar (or from the Denon receiver) if the TV is not outputting 5.1 audio. First you’ll need to check the TV’s owner’s manual to see if the TV is capable, then see if the function is enabled. Note that many older TVs are not capable of passing a 5.1 signal from the TV’s HDMI inputs to the TV’s output as noted in CNET’s review linked below. Rtings.com’s recent ranking (linked below) shows that many current models have added this capability; VIZIO is one of a few that have been doing it for a while. If the TV does not pass 5.1 from external sources, you may be restricted to receiving 5.1 only from the built-in TV tuner or built-in SmartTV apps.

2013 models: https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/
2017 models: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Once you have confirmed that you are receiving a 5.1 signal, you can adjust the surround volume level on the sound bar. Per the Quick Start guide on page 26: http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/sb4551d5/qsg-sb4551d5.pdf, press “Menu’, then use the up/down arrows to select the “Surround Levels” option. Then use Next/Previous to increase/decrease the surround levels to the desired level.

You should also be able to connect all three displays to the sound bar if you can use a separate audio connection for each TV. See page 8 of the sound bar manual. You could use HDMI ARC for the main TV, for example, and optical digital for the second and Coaxial digital or Analog stereo audio for the third TV.
The TV is a Samsung JS8500. Per the spec sheet on the Samsung site, it appears it supports DTS Premium Sound 5.1.

I have gone through ensuring the surround is turned all the way up and I have them near where I sit, the audio coming out is so minimal. It never gives me the feeling like I am in game (so to speak). The soundbar and sub are outstanding it is just the little satellite speakers.

Sounds like you are suggesting against an idea to build around the Denon receiver/Bose bookshelf speakers due to age...

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Yes, comes in very handy when I want to watch EPL, college football, and pregame shows... Or having a game on while I play PS4.
I don't think you can connect all three optical sources to that receiver. You'd need a switcher of some sort ... unless you conncted only one optical and the other two using the Red and White RCA connectors to different inputs. Of course, then you do not get 5.1, only stereo out of the RCA connection..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you can connect all three optical sources to that receiver. You'd need a switcher of some sort ... unless you conncted only one optical and the other two using the Red and White RCA connectors to different inputs. Of course, then you do not get 5.1, only stereo out of the RCA connection..
Switcher was the route I was thinking...

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Denon AVR-2802 has 3 optical inputs, so as long as all of the TVs have optical out, you can connect them to the receiver. However, you may not be getting full 5.1 depending on what the optical output sends to the receiver. With that said, Denon has a very nice multi-channel stereo setting and even with stereo input, all speakers will output sound. Front and rear right will play the right channel, front and rear left will play the left channel, and the center will play whatever would be imaged to the center. It sounds quite nice however 2 channel purists may HATE it.

You will only be able to play one source at a time, just switch between the optical inputs, which you would need to assign in the menu.

I'm still using a 2803 in the garage, and just replaced a 3803 with a much newer Sony ES AVR I was given.

If you have the budget to get some decent front speakers and can move those Bose to the rear, you should really enjoy the sound. It will blow away your soundbar.

Go Spartans!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Denon AVR-2802 has 3 optical inputs, so as long as all of the TVs have optical out, you can connect them to the receiver. However, you may not be getting full 5.1 depending on what the optical output sends to the receiver. With that said, Denon has a very nice multi-channel stereo setting and even with stereo input, all speakers will output sound. Front and rear right will play the right channel, front and rear left will play the left channel, and the center will play whatever would be imaged to the center. It sounds quite nice however 2 channel purists may HATE it.

You will only be able to play one source at a time, just switch between the optical inputs, which you would need to assign in the menu.

I'm still using a 2803 in the garage, and just replaced a 3803 with a much newer Sony ES AVR I was given.

If you have the budget to get some decent front speakers and can move those Bose to the rear, you should really enjoy the sound. It will blow away your soundbar.

Go Spartans!
This was what I first imagined... All my TVs do have the optical inputs so I am thinking, along with your thoughts, it should blow the soundbar away.

Go Blue!! :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
This was what I first imagined... All my TVs do have the optical inputs so I am thinking, along with your thoughts, it should blow the soundbar away.

Go Blue!! :)
just make sure your TVs have optical Outputs... that is a mistake a Wolverine would make...

I grew up close to MSU, but never went there. I root for both UofM and MSU unless they are playing each other, then it is MSU...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.