AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems decoding DTS with this receiver of late.

I'm hoping if anyone has opinions or advice on similar situations?

Below are my observations:

- The DTS problem occurs with both the digital COAX and OPTICAL inputs.

- The Denon is set to AUTO. However, manual adjustment to force DTS still yields no sound.

- It will decode Dolby Digital.

- I've switched from the Panasonic RP-56 to Toshiba 3750 to finally a RP91 with the same problem. An side note - the Toshiba seem to pass DTS off and on, but the Denon rejected the Panasonics completely. It cannot be the DVD player, can it?

- I recently change to use the Outlaw 750 Amp with the Denon for processor duties only. An amp should not affect processing duties as it only outputs audio signals. The processors should be reading the digital bitstream to decode then pass to amp...

- I have resetted the microprocessor twice, but the problem persits.

- Yes, I've checked the DVD players settings to have both DTS and DD as "bitstream."

BOTTOM LINE: Is it the decoder in the Denon that's at fault? Has anyone heard of this defect in the AVR series?

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
You might have a bum reciever. I own a 3300 and it all works fine. Actually works damn well. You basically did all the necessary Troubleshooting that you can do. Give denon USA a call and see if they can RMA it out.

Now the DVD player IS DTS compatible yes? In other words it got the silk scren of DTS up front on the facia?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I ran a 3300 for 2 years and never had any problems at all! (And I used mine as a pre-amp too.) If you've checked your digital cables and know that the DVD player setups are correct, the only thing left is the Denon...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree that the receive may be at fault, given the problem with the Toshiba DVD.

But the problem with the Panasonic may be that Panasonic DVD players (at least the two that I own) come set NOT to pass DTS. You have to switch it to pass DTS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.