AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I didn't see any specific threads that asked for people's opinion on these two exact models. In any case, I've narrowed my receiver choice to either the Denon AVR-3310CI or the Onkyo TX-NR906. I know it's not really comparing "apples to apples" since there are some dissimilarities...but they are both around the same price (Amazon has the TX-NR906 for $1639...while the MSRP of the Denon is around $1500). On the flip side, both do have a few similar features. They both have a USB input (which I would like to have) as well the ability to stream internet radio (which would also be nice). I also know the Denon has 5 HDMI inputs, while the 906 only has 4...but has 2 HDMI outs (something that I don't need right now...but you never know down the road). I really can't decide, so I am sort of opening things up here to gather some opinions. What would you choose and why? Also, anyone have any info on the reliability of either model? I'm kind of concerned about the reliability of the Onkyo. I've read on this forum about some member's units smoking, etc. I would really like something that will last for quite a while...so choosing the right model (especially for that kind of bread) is important. I think this might be the last big purchase the wife will let me make for a while (another kid-o on the way). Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/16998475

First off, I didn't see any specific threads that asked for people's opinion on these two exact models. In any case, I've narrowed my receiver choice to either the Denon AVR-3310CI or the Onkyo TX-NR906. I know it's not really comparing "apples to apples" since there are some dissimilarities...but they are both around the same price (Amazon has the TX-NR906 for $1639...while the MSRP of the Denon is around $1500). On the flip side, both do have a few similar features. They both have a USB input (which I would like to have) as well the ability to stream internet radio (which would also be nice). I also know the Denon has 5 HDMI inputs, while the 906 only has 4...but has 2 HDMI outs (something that I don't need right now...but you never know down the road). I really can't decide, so I am sort of opening things up here to gather some opinions. What would you choose and why? Also, anyone have any info on the reliability of either model? I'm kind of concerned about the reliability of the Onkyo. I've read on this forum about some member's units smoking, etc. I would really like something that will last for quite a while...so choosing the right model (especially for that kind of bread) is important. I think this might be the last big purchase the wife will let me make for a while (another kid-o on the way). Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Then you may want to consider the Denon 4308CI. Wi-Fi ready,plenty of connections and power and ~the same price or less than either of your other choices.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/16998771

So you would not recommend the Onkyo at all?

No thats not it all. I have a brand new Onkyo 876 thats still in its box. The Onkyo's are great units. But with the features you seem to want it is my opinion that the 4308CI is the best buy between the ones you have listed. It has everything you want plus some. For ~$1400 (new) for a receiver that came out listed as 2699 it would perform what you want and save some money also. Go over to the threads of these three receivers and compare what owners are saying and then make your choice. Any of the three are very good choices. Its just my opinion only that makes the 4308 the better choice. You really don't get that much more with the 906 over the 876 to really warrant the price difference. The only real drawback to the 4308CI is having to pay an extra $100 to activate Dynamic Volume and EQ. But its still less than the 906 and just a little more than the 3310. I was also considering all of these receivers and broke mine down to the 4308 and 876. That $100 fee kept me going back and forth between the 876 and it. I got the 876 for a lot less than the 4308CI, so I jumped on it. Spent difference toward another subwoofer to along with the Velodyne I'm using now. The new sub and 876 cost only a few hundred more than the 4308 or 906.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it true that Denon has a better reliability record then Onkyo? Again, this is a receiver that I want to keep for a bunch of years. I've never owned either brand, so I am trying to make a decision based on (amongst other things) reliability history and performance. Price isn't as much of an issue...but I want to keep it at around $1700 max.

Where are you seeing the 4308 for around $1400? I did a quick search and am seeing it in the 2k range.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/16999061

Is it true that Denon has a better reliability record then Onkyo? Again, this is a receiver that I want to keep for a bunch of years. I've never owned either brand, so I am trying to make a decision based on (amongst other things) reliability history and performance. Price isn't as much of an issue...but I want to keep it at around $1700 max.

Where are you seeing the 4308 for around $1400? I did a quick search and am seeing it in the 2k range.

Have no idea about the reliability issues. I've owned Yamaha's and Onkyo's and have had no problems whatsoever with either brand. I've never owned a Denon AVR but from what I read about them they are also very reliable. Its all going to come down to which of these receivers have all the features you want and need. The prices of all of these is not really that big of a difference. What receiver have you used in the past? Any of the choices you have seem to be very well liked and they all have their fans. Just don't have to limit yourself to what others are saying about their favorite brands because we all have our own "favorites". You know the first brands we always lean to and seem to put blinders on when it comes to another brand. Also, you have mail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My old receiver is a kenwood THX vr-6070. It recently started to randomly create a digital shreaking noise whenever I listened to either an optical or digital coax connection...so I need to replace it (no idea what could be causing that). I guess there is a reason why kenwood doesn't make receivers anymore. This is another reason why I am concerned about reliability. I know nothing lasts forever...but if I drop ~$1600 for a receiver...I want it to last for a good while.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/16999288

My old receiver is a kenwood THX vr-6070. It recently started to randomly create a digital shreaking noise whenever I listened to either an optical or digital coax connection...so I need to replace it (no idea what could be causing that). I guess there is a reason why kenwood doesn't make receivers anymore. This is another reason why I am concerned about reliability. I know nothing lasts forever...but if I drop ~$1600 for a receiver...I want it to last for a good while.

Any of your choices would be a major improvement. Also any of them should last for many years to come.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha...are you knocking my old kenwood? Haha. For what I needed it for at the time (just starting out in world of home theater) I didn't think it was too bad. My mind says Denon, but my heart says Onkyo. I'm trying not to fall in love with the notion of being able to buy a "flagship" receiver (Onkyo). I don't want that to cloud my judgement.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/16999600

Haha...are you knocking my old kenwood? Haha. For what I needed it for at the time (just starting out in world of home theater) I didn't think it was too bad. My mind says Denon, but my heart says Onkyo. I'm trying not to fall in love with the notion of being able to buy a "flagship" receiver (Onkyo). I don't want that to cloud my judgement.

Then the "flagship" IMO would be the 4308CI. Upgradeable over the internet or USB. Not so with the Onkyo. Well it can be done with RS232 straight cables. There is a thread here telling you how to do it. But that thread also has a few owners that have "bricked" those AVR's. Not knocking your Kenwood by any means. I'm just one of those that have a couple of brands that I favor. Those being Yamaha and Onkyo. I've owned both and all of them that I have owned are still working as the day I got them. I ended up with the 876 because of the price difference between it and the 4308CI and the fact that there are too many things on the 4308 I problably would not use. Hell, there are problably things on the 876 I won't use right now either. But they are there for future use.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/16999918

I know either one can stream internet radio. Do you know if they could stream XM through their online streaming service?

Have no idea, don't use XM. I would imagine the 4308 could but I don't know for sure. May be able to find out on your choice of receivers dedicated threads.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs /forum/post/17000159

Is the HQV Reon (that's in the 906) better then the Anchor Bay processor that the new Denon's have?

Problably on equal footing. Both are very good. It all comes down to how each is implemented in their respective receivers. That being just how much you are able to adjust these processors through the receiver. I believe the 906's processor can be ISF checked and adjusted. Not sure if the Denon can also be done, but I don't believe so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The ABT 2010 in the Denon's are the same processors thats in the DVDO Edge. However they may not have it do as much as the DVDO Edge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts